Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Poison Ivy/Oak remedies >

Poison Ivy/Oak remedies

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Ivy/Oak remedies

Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Poison Ivy/Oak remedies

Well I spent the weekend in E.TN and decided I wanted my stand in a tree that vine was in. I cut the vine out and am paying for it now. My head, face, and arms from wrists to biceps are covered, eyes are half swollen shut, and itching like all get-out, and have some secondary spots on by chest from scratching before I broke out.

Im applying calimine lotion every hour and taking benedryl often, but looking for something more. Anyone here have any good fixes? A friend of mine found some soap when she was pregnant that fixed her up, but she doesnt remember what it was called. She said it was about $35 for 1oz. Ill take any help that I can get on this...
Chris
Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Poison Ivy/Oak remedies

Clobex. Gets rid of the stuff in about a day. And it doesnt take much at all. Like, a dime will do your whole back.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 PM

use the ole heat treatment. Get in the shower and turn on the hot water. Its the best thing about poison oak. It feels so good and thats no joke! Ive also put vinegar on it. Never tried that clobex..sounds like good stuff.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

Clobex. Gets rid of the stuff in about a day. And it doesnt take much at all. Like, a dime will do your whole back.
Is this prescription or OTC?
Chris
Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Pretty sure its over the counter. My mom got it when she had real bad poison ivy, along with steroids. If its not OTC, a dermitologist(spelling) can get it for you no problem. But, im 90% sure you can just go buy it.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

Doesn't taking a shower spread it? I'm pretty sure it does!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a confirmed poison ivy gettin' mutha! I've tried it all and no matter what you do, once you've got it, you've got it and nothing but time makes it go away...generally 7-10 days from break-out you'll be back to normal...days 2-5 are the worst. The best advice is to not get it...I always love hearing that one but its the truth. You have to know what to look for and after many, many years of getting it, I know but sometimes actions require that you put yourself in harms way and deal with it and hanging stands is one such action. Make sure you wash everything you touched since you made contact with the juice...shoes, socks, steering wheel, door knobs, hat, clothes, gloves...everything. It is a fact that the juice can cause a rash for up to a year or longer and no...scratching does not spread it and the ooze doesn't spread it either...that is a myth. When you think you've exposed yourself to the plant, wash off in cool water thoroughly...no soap! Soap only spreads it around and can make it worse. No hot water because it opens your pores and makes it worse. Cool water from head to toe for several minutes and then you can add a bit of heat and then soap and shampoo but the cool water initially dilutes the juice and washes it off which can help to escape the weeds wrath or at least minimalize it. Good luck!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

pee on it
Old 10-19-2005, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bob d

pee on it
now dont pick on me but is there any trith to that? believe it or not i've heard something like that before but it involved jellyfish stingers. either way, ill deal with pain before some1 pees on me

Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poison Ivy likes my face.

I would suggest anyone who's highly allergic (like myself) go take the series of steroid shots that is supposed to make you immune to it. (I should take my own advice.)

I got some prescribed steroid cream for mine that works well. But, I've also had it severe enough that I've had to go to the ER and get shots.

I should do that soon...beats the heck out of getting poison ivy all the time.

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy/Oak remedies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.