Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!! >

Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!!

" />

It started with my wife (Angie) telling me that she was headed out to our lease at the Johnson ranch west of Newcastle , Texas and that I had to watch the kids after work on friday....WHILE SHE WAS HUNTING!!!!! Well I ended up having to work Saturday morning also and as soon as I was off work I gathered up the kiddos and headed West>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>..

We arrived at the ranch right around hunting time and I hauled butt to my stand and dropped my wife off at hers. All I had come in was a 1.5 year old eight and two covies of quail. And all she saw was a couple of yearlings, one button head and a one doe... And then it was time to start supper, and what a feast it was, Fresh deer backstrap, pork steaks, hot links and sausage.. Needles to say after dinner and a few adult beverages I was ready for bed!!!

Five am came early and Angie didnt want to get out of bed so I decided to hunt her blind for the morning hunt, it was a bust, just the same two yearlings showed up to play around the acorn trees, at 9 :45 I got out and begain my long walk to the truck and then to camp for a little needed sleep. After a good nap I told Angie I was going to check out a oak mott that was dropping acorns and I wanted to try it out and we both thought it might be a good idea since the oaks were being checked by the resident deer herd. I dropped her off at her stand at 4:15 and then heads south to my little spot that I had planned on hunting for the evening. Once there I picked a tree with a limb that was almost level and I climbed up and sat down on the limb. After what seemed like forever in came four doe running in and begain to feed on the outside edges of the tree most of the time all I could see were there legs. I had planned on harvesting one of the doe and stood up and began to draw, I wasa now anchored and concentrating and just happend to look down to make sure I was not going to fall out of the tree when HE ran right under me!!!! I ALMOST FELL OUT OF THE TREE.... He was running strait away from me and stopped at 23 yards to eat and browse on the acorns with his doe , I was already full drawn and had that sweet feeling of success, I waited for a good shot and he quartered ever so slightly and I knew I had him (My Montec tipped BlackHawk Vapors fly like darts!!) I picked the hair and sent the arrow toward its target>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t; THUMP (melon sound) and he just hopped about a foot and looked back like what was that????? I thought I missed and started to panic, I then got my Nikon binos and took a look and there was the answer!! Just laying 4-5 feet in front of him was a Nice red arrow that used to be neon orange!! But I still had my doubts..... so I quietly got another arrow and made the choice, I set my pin right on the edge of his back and took a deep breath and slowly started to squeeze, THWACK!! he dropped dead in his tracks.. Waiting WHO WAITS!! I jumped down from the tree scaring the heck out of the doe and ran to see my buck that was on his way to the happy hunting grounds....and fields of green.. Once I got to him I noticed that my first shot was spot on and entered just behind his right side ribs and came out just slightly under and infront of his left front leg taking the whole top of the heart out... DIRECT HIT, he never knew he was already dead..... After jumping up and down in the pasture for a while, not out of joy but anger...I had just whacked a 3.5 year old 9 pt that had a great future....but my anger turned to joy and I got those horns in my hands and started to admire my new trophy......Man now I have to walk a mile back to the truck............

On the way back to the truck I walked up on a three foot rattler that needed to go to the pearly gates also and I sent him there!! I hate snakes... After loading him up and driving toward where my wife was I ran over another rattler and tossed him in the back of the truck also..... I picked up Angie and rode back to camp and a round of pictures for BAO (Brazos Archery Outfitters) they are who we lease from, great folks and good to doo business with..

Its been a long four years since my last buck harvest andI had almost forgot what it was like to touch those antlers, there is nothing like it...

Equipment used

Mathews Outback at 70 lbs
MONTEC 100grain broadheads
Blackhawk Vapor 5000 series arrows
Tru-ball rackmaster release
Trophyridge drop zone arrow rest
Quikee quiver
sims vibration laboritories goodies
Nikon Binoculars
Bushnell yardage pro rangefinder.

MAN WHAT A GREAT HUNT!!! I cant wait till next weekend!! And thanks for all the great products that make this possible..
Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!!

sounds like you had a large time. congrats. on a fine buck.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice 9 point, I wacked an 8 point a tad smaller then yours. I used Montec 125 I think they are the best broadhead I ever used. I have arrowed 6 whitetails with them and they have done the job. Last deer I shot from a high angle(30 ft above) and the arrow took out lung/heart and stuck in the shoulder on the opposite side. Broadhead was not bent at all!!! They are tough
NICE, NICE Deer you should be really proud
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Beautifull deer. I am chasing a big nine similar to that one that i got pictures
of on my trailcam. Hopefull I will have similar luck by seasons end.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Team 10 strikes again!

Great buck, great story, and great photo. Congrats!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story and real nice deer, CONGRATS. How do dem snake stakes taste??
Hatchet Jack
Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 PM

Congrats on a beaut! I wouldnt worry about that buck tag, you got the job done early. I could picture your story, good one.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a sweet deer. i hope that i can connect like you did!!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! Congrats on the awesome buck!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM

Congrats on a fine deer!!!

Quick Reply: Montec Madness (9pt goes down )!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.