Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long ...

Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Default How long ...

This is my first year to bowhunt and I am getting a little frustrated because of the lack of shots I have ... good spot but I see a deer that I could take with a rifle and the bow shot just isn't there. My husband says to be patient because he hunted for several years before he shot a deer with his bow. So I am wondering, how long did y'all bowhunt before you got something? Am I being unrealistic to expect to take a deer this year?

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 AM

Default RE: How long ...

I started last season and also saw lots of deer last year within 30-100 yds and did not shoot with my bow.

This season on my first day out I shot a doe. I have had other opportunities this year on does but have elected to wait.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

i was fortunate to get shots my first year, but it isn't always so. I got a deer the second serious season I was out. 23 yds. my buddy got one shot last year (his first season) and two so far this year, with one connecting on a big doe. don't worry, it'll come together, just be patient.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely not ,just be patient with it ,if your seeing deer and see where they are coming out from then try moving a bit closer to that spot .Bowhunting definately is different from rifle hunting .I was 3 year's before I struck gold ,but I had had chance's to take deer ,but I was looking for buck's not doe's .Don't worry about it and don't give up because it'll happen when you least expect it ,that's why bowhunting is sooooo much fun .
Good luck to you and keep us informed with your progress .Txstarr it will happen,and then you'll be hooked just like the rest of us.

This season I've had 6 deer for the taken but again I'm hunting for buck's in this WMU and have a doe tag for another which I've not hunted yet ,but when I'm ready for a doe I'm sure I'll get one .This morning I had 2 doe's and 2 fawn's within my striking range ,I had a doe and a fawn within 20yrds and had the pin on them ,but for now I'll wait .

nubo
Old 10-17-2005, 09:59 AM

I started bowhunting when I was 12 and killed my first deer with a bow that very same year. Scout, scout, scout, hang your stand, kill your deer, grin from ear to ear. Repeat every year for true happiness. Hehe. Good luck and hang in there!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Neverrrrrrr give up!! Your best bet ... if your hunting an area that u can see deer that far, then you have added to your knowledge of there patterns. So now try and move your stand closer to that area. Hunt the wind and Good Luck!!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I was in my 3rd year before I got a deer with bow. Partly was the lack of time in the woods. I year 3 I really hunted a run as much as I could - time pays off.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM

4 years for me
Old 10-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be patient if it was easy, anyone could do it. We bowhunt for the challenge! Keep at it, it can change at any given second!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 PM

I got one my second year with the bow. And you will never forget it.

Quick Reply: How long ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.