Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling

Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling

For those of you that have success rattling,what type of conditions do you look for.For Example; do you use a field edge or a ridge top or deep thickets?Do you want the sound to carry a long ways or just in the immediate area?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rattling

really any of the places u just mentioned if the setup is good. i have rattled them out of swamps and woods...creek bottoms. i rattled i buck a few yrs ago in DE and didnt know that he was there. the birds started acting a little funny, so i peeked through the side window of my double bull blind and there he was. i didnt shoot him though. he was an OK deer but if he has lived, he is i nice deer now.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on where your at and what time of the year your hunting. Where I come from rattling is not good because the doe buck ratio is like 10 does to 1 buck and they don't need to fight for does. During the pre rut I like to tickle the horns and the bucks react, more to socialize but not to fight, sometimes they will fight for their pecking order or for dominance later on during the rut. I like to tickle the horns in those areas you have said.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 PM

I have had a lot of luck here with rattling. Early in the year - just tickle them a little. I have the best luck setup in an area that has some kind of open area around it. I know they will battle anywhere but seems like an opening is the best place to initiate a sparring match. As the rut picks up, I simulate knock down drag outs with the horns and knocking the base against the tree throwing a grunt or two in the lulls. I go at it pretty good for 2-3 minutes. Then set my stuff down, get my bow and get in position because they seem to come in pretty fast around here.

I use heavy horns too - it seems to make a difference - make just be luck too. Originally I used a light 6. Two years ago, I got a hold of a heavy, thick 8 and they sound good. My 6 point rackpulled in a lot of bucks but not one big shooter. In the last 2 years, have pulled in 4 good bucks - 2 in the basement. I seem to have no luck with anything else other than rattling.

Doe to buck ratio is certainly a big factor too - if there are plenty of does - why fight?

Good luck - hope you have some success with it.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Spike

i have never rattled in a deer, tryed it a few times, no luck, the only time i have ever called in a deer(might have not even called it in) i was hunting yotes in the spring, i was sitting there calling when a nice 4 point ran acrossed the feild and went about 40-50 yards away and stoped, then walkin into the woods, the rut doesnt start here tell around November, im afraid to trying rattling at my stand cuz im afraid it might scare the deer away?? what do u think? is it worth a try?

Old 10-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you see does running from bucks that is usually a good time to try ratteling. If the does are just walking in front of the bucks not really trying to get away forget it, nothing will pull that buck from that doe. In that case you just have to hope she comes by you. Thats why I hunt bottel necks (funnels).Also if you see or hear bucks sparing that is a good time to rattle.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never rattled in a deer, doe or buck. I know alot of people that do but not me. I have scared a 200 class buck off once though. The only thing he left behind was a pile of raisins where he was standing. LOL
Old 10-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

what ya guys/gals think about rattlin bags?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:01 PM

I know everyone says the buck to doe is the main thing about getting the bucks to respond. That I don't know about. where I hunt the ratio is about 20 does to one buck. they will respond to rattling in my area. I rattle in several bucks every year, without fail.
I rattle in one or two for my wife as well.
it is early this year yet, but yesterday morning I rattled in a buck to 20 yards.
we set and see 15 to 20 does to every buck we see ; but they will come to the horns in Oct. and early Nov.
after that they just stop for a second, then go on there way.

I don't beat them together like you see on TV,just enough so they can hear you for about 75 to 100 yards.every 15 to 20 min. for 1 to 1 1/2 min. then set and watch closely.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Holly s**t ,I'm jealous and also from canda where the deer herd is in it's worst state as far as numbers go. On buck per hunter and if your lucky and you win the doe draw than you got your choice.How many deer are you legally alowed in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Rattling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.