Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 6 years and sill nothing >

6 years and sill nothing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6 years and sill nothing

Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Default RE: 6 years and sill nothing

I have had that feeling soooooo many times. Im just not a lucky hunter. I am a cosmetology instructor and all the girls ask me it I would be able toshoot one.. I just laugh and say " Ive tried many times to shoot and kill one, it just isnt working out" now im afraid that the deer have sent out a bullitan sayin "SHE'S OVER HER, COME THIS WAY YOUL BE SAFE" LOL

Standing in a treestand after a badly screwed up shot can be brutal one morning comes to mind when i didnt chamber my shell, i remember looking for any sharp trees i could hurl my body onto. No luck there either. HAHA

I think everyone is right though. My husband has hunted all his life and gotten some awsome bucks..his ex friends would shoot anything that had nubs on its head. I want a nice mature buck that I can be proud of. Just last week my husband Passed up a spike buck cuz he new it was headed to me. I took his pic and let him walk away. "mad spouse" oops does that make sence. should I have taken the spike or is it ok to be picky. and do you thinkget the "first one" that you can is the right mentality. PLEASE keep in mind I want to make sure the shot I take will KILL the animal.. I dont want to be the one that says "ya the buck with the arrow sticking through his ass is the one that got away"
Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM

I don't think it's bad to sit and shoot at all. This year I set-up all my stands so I can take sitting shots in the direction I think the deer are most likely to pass. I don't think you'll have any problems shooting from a sitting position, the main challenge is shooting from an elevated position. It's not that strange to bend at the waist when you're standing, it's a little less natural to bend at the waist when sitting. A good idea is to draw like your target is on a level plane from you, when at full draw bend at the waist until your on your target, this keeps your upper body form the same as when you practice in your backyard. Unless you practice from an elevated position. Good Luck, Get some pics on here when you stick on!

Paul
Old 10-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnhotbabe

I want a nice mature buck that I can be proud of.
First of all, you can be proud of ANY animal you take, regardless of what sex or how big it is.

Also, when you're just starting off hunting there is no need to go for mature bucks only. You need to start small with does and little bucks and slowly work your way up from there. I can guarantee you that there is no trophy hunter out there who started shooting monster deer right out of the gate. Everyone has to start small and build themselves up over time.

Keep in mind that a successful hunt isn't about having bragging rights to a monster buck. Its' about the experience in the field, the meat on the table, and the memories that will last a lifetime.

So the next time that spike walks by your tree, send an arrow his way and go home a happy hunter!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnhotbabe

I was shaking so bad........as I drew on him, my finder slipped and released the arrow about 50 yards into the air.
When you quit shaking is when its time to quit hunting.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Do this.... sit in your stand and tilt your head way back until you're looking straight up. Is there a big Black Cloud up there??? I thought so.[8D][8D] Joe Blitzgreig comes to mind.

If it's any consulation. I knew a guy that went 22 years gun hunting before he shot a deer. OH, he had shots and misses and all that. I was there the day he finally got one. I was walking out some fresh snowed up blowdowns. He was posted on a ridge in some pines. I jumped a herd of 4 or 5 that went right up his way. He said he pulled right behind the shoulder of the biggest doe when they stopped 30 yards away. He hit her right in the eye. Go figure. I thought he was going to die from happiness.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM

Dude, don't worry about it. My first shot chance was a few years ago, scouting for gun season and had my bow. Heard something in the leaves, I knew it wasn't a tree rat, got by a tree and a little spike came by, STOPPED for a perfect broadside 15-20 yd shot, started to pull back and my arrow came off my rest, metal against metal, he threw up is head right away, ran off.

Last year I actually got my first shot at a doe, shot over her back actually giving her a haircut.

I've been bow hunting for 7 years I think and still haven't killed a deer. I did kill a rabbit last year at the house.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing wrong with shooting sitting down, I would just practice shooting while sitting......from an elevated position. It's a little different from up there. But just a thought for you: I prefer to shoot standing up, it allows me the mobility to adjust my body to shoot almost all the way around the tree if I have to. Sitting down, you can only cover so much area.

Take any deer that gives you your shot! You'll be even more hooked!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still looking for my first bow kill. I don't have alot of QUALITY hunting time in with a bow. So far this year I've seen more deer than I have in the previous 3 seasons put together. That is primarily because this year is the first in a VERY long time that I'm hunting private land.The last time I bowhunted before that was 15 years ago. This year I took a shot from my treestand sitting down, I shot high over her back. I have practiced shooting while sitting and am dead on from ground level, I'm pretty convinced that my miss was due to not bending at the waist and shooting from a reasonably high position (about 25'). I did have another shot opportunity, but passed on a spike buck.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

10-4
Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Someone shot their first deer this year, after 28 years of hunting with a bow! Give it some time, and if all else fails, buy a BowTech!

Quick Reply: 6 years and sill nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.