Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quick Question for experienced bowhunters? >

Quick Question for experienced bowhunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quick Question for experienced bowhunters?

Old 10-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Quick Question for experienced bowhunters?

I've got a quick question for all the experienced bowhunters.I'm just a beginner in bowhunting it is my first yearmyname is Vincent Baier and I was wondering when you guys just started bowhunting did you miss any of your shots?

Because I Have gone out 3 times and I have missed 2 shots because I'm just trying to get a doe so I can atleast have shot something with my bow. The firsttime I missed judged the range and I went about an inche below becaus ehe ooked about 40 yards and he was actually about almost 50 and the second time it wasn't a good shot point anyway because he was turned away at an angle so not completely broad side and I went just to the left and a little over top.

Belive me I don't know how I missed because my I group my shots very well at 40 yards.

So just tell me if you have ever missed because I feel like a loser misisng twice just on a doe.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quick Question for experienced bowhunters?

Let em get closer. More like 20 yds.Start close than work your way back as you gain expierence. A targert at 40 yds and a deer at 40 yds a not even close to being the same.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

We all miss and one point or another Vinny. The key is understanding why you missed and then compensating for it the next time. Though I often practice at 30 and 40 yards my actual shot distance is typically under 15. Might I suggest curbing your shot distance a bit until you get one under your belt? That might help you connect more often.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've missed my share of shots over the years. Some by an inch or two and others by a mile.

I wouldn't sweat it. As many of us would say we'd rather have a clean miss than a poor shot.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let em get closer. More like 20 yds.Start close than work your way back as you gain expierence. A targert at 40 yds and a deer at 40 yds a not even close to being the same.
good advice, i practice to 50 yrds. but the longest shot i have ever taken is just over 30 yds, two things here, i practiced at the longer ranges for my trips to canada where i might have a 50 yrd shot, but an added bonus is that practicing at 50 and getting decent will dramatically improve your 15-35yrd shooting, for me 15-25 yrd shot thru woods is as far as i'd ever really want, closer is better, let them walk or feed by, if you don't get close enough make an adjustment on stand placement, i got a feelin you'll get your first very soon, good luck and get after'em
Old 10-09-2005, 04:47 PM

Invest in a range finder. Also make sure you have clear shooting lanes.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:51 PM

I have only two things for you,don't take them personally.First 40 yards is way to far for a beginner,like Motown stated 40 yard target and 40 yard deer,not even close to being the same thing.Second thing and probablymore important,my first two years i had a big problem with target panic and would aim at hair,please do not make this mistake.Pick a spot ,a crease in the skin or a spot on their hair or whatever.This is the first year i have instituded a pre-shot routine and have benifitted immensly from it.I have only shot at one deer as of yet, but am eating some sweet bologna as i write this.Good luck with the rest of your season.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

welcome to the world of bowhunting! id get use to missing a few cuz its gonna happen. I have missed a few myself over the yrs. myself wouldnt take a shot at 40 yds, theres to many things that could go wrong at that distance like wounding an animal etc. Like the others said let em get closer andif they dont just enjoy the moment and wait for nexttime. make sure you follow thru on your shot, dont punch the shot, andI cant give ya any advice on buck fever cuz I havent figured that out yet........LMAO. When I usually set my stand I try to pace off 20 yds and get an idea about where my limits are. I also clear lanes etc. I try to pick 2 or 3 trees to climb up in so that way i can play the wind. Bowhunting is a learning experience and always will be. It took me 7 yrs to bag my first deer with a bow. Calm down and take your time it will happen, dont rush! I wish ya luck this yr
Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly I never missed.Because i only shoot at 20 yards broadside ,standing still. Only shot I will take.I had some spine hits and one stomach shot,but recovered them
Old 10-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has offered good advice.Work to become a better hunter and a better archer at the same time.Limit your shots to closer distances until you are making shots routinely and easily at those closer distances.Don't get discouraged even excellent archers withmany yearsof experience miss.They just don't do it very often.A rangefinder is a great idea if it is affordable to you.If you limit your shots to 20 to 25 yards initially a rangefinder isn't quite so critical.
Good luck!Relax as best you can and have fun!!You have a life time of learning ahead of you.

Quick Reply: Quick Question for experienced bowhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.