Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "I shake all over".... (become the predator) >

"I shake all over".... (become the predator)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"I shake all over".... (become the predator)

Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default RE: "I shake all over".... (become the predator)

I agree.......and disagree.

"The shakes" have to be there IMO or what is the point?? If hunting doesn't get you excited then find something else that does. After all it is what everyone strives for in most walks of life. People want excitement at work, at play, in bed..........and so on. Drug atticts spend a lifetime chasing that original "high".........gamblers always are looking for "action".........people jump out of planes and ride roller coasters every day for a "rush" of fear and excitement. Epinephrine is not a bad thing

Having said that........I also take pride in being able to stay focused on what I have to do when the time comes. I have never had a "melt down" or "freaked out" or got a touch of "the fever". In my mind that comes from being over prepared and overly confident in my equipment. I think when people spaz-out when a deer comes by it is because they are not confident enough that they can seal the deal and they panic.

So I do think there is something to be said for being a rock solid "predator" at crunch time...........but if your heart isn't racing and you are not fired up before, during or after the shot then you have lost touch and become a little too mechanical..........take up golf.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

AMEN davidmil.

Not much more toadd.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good post David. I tend to agree with you to an extent. Though people might often say "when I stop getting the shakes" I wonder if they don't just mean that they stop getting excited about seeing a deer. I can understand your point about the former but can also see theirs about the latter.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Be the ball, just be the ball. nanananannananananan.....
Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not here to tell you the heart doesn't race a bit at times, but you have to become the predator to control it. Even a cat waiting to pounce is strung pretty tight sometimes. You can see every muscle just tensing and ready to leap, but they're still the consumate predator through it all. Steady focus and one purpose in mind, to triumph. I do have a tendancy to get more excited after the shot. I guess it's coming down from the high of concentration. I always tell myself, "Ok, you did that right, now sit down and breath". And then I do it.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

we were born to be predator
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ME got a LONG time to go before im a predator i guess
Old 10-07-2005, 06:40 PM

David, I think what you're trying to say is that it's all about how we control our impulses. We can feel the excitement of the hunt internally, but the better we control our outward reactions, the better the end result andthe more predatorial we are.
Kind of deep, I know, but I believe that's what you're trying to say. Feeling it and showing it are two different things.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think getting the shakes (adrenaline rush) before the shot is perfectly normal for bowhunters in the early stages of their hunting career. After controlling the shakes and getting a few deer under their belt , then itcomes after the shot instead of before.
When most hunters talk about "hanging it up when they lose the rush" , I believe their talking about the adrenaline rush after the shot.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the animal. As soon as I identify the deer as something I want I get the rush. Small bucks don't get me excited. I just find myself smiling from ear to ear like a true idiot while watching them being totally oblivious to my presence. If it is a big buck I get as excited as if it were my first time drawing on an animal. I think the rush is really just the fear of failure......lack of true confidence in the moment of truth. With every success you gain confidence and grow from it.

Quick Reply: "I shake all over".... (become the predator)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.