Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how many of you.... >

how many of you....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many of you....

Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Default how many of you....

When you see a deer coming do you get the shakes or do you get them after you shoot. Ever have you knees go weak?

Share your story!

I know my heart pounds like mad when I get deer in sight.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Default RE: how many of you....

Yeah Im about the same. My adrenaline starts pumping. Hearts beating fast. Theres a smile on my face the whole time. Great stuff!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM

No way. It's boring. That's why I do it every year....
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM

I can tell you. When I first started bow hunting when I was 13 (17 years ago) I used to get the leg shakes whenever I saw deer. When i finally got one with the bow I thought i was going to fall out of the tree.. MY knees gave out and I had to grab the tree before I fell. That stopped after about 3-4 deer under my belt..
Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I also get shook up before the shot. If I see a shooter coming I really have to work to stay calm enough to make a good shot!!Allot of the time I have to look the other way periodical so I don't fall out of my stand[&:]. As the years pass I don't think I get any better I just have done it enough that everything is just automatic when it comes to the shot!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I typically get the shakes after the shot...lots of shakes.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM

My knees went weak last year on opening day muzzleloader.

When I got into my treestand I loaded my gun and then placed a cap. My cap holder fell down to the ground.

Later in the morning I had a nice 8 pointer 15 yds broadside and went to shoot and I had a dud. Pop! Then I remeber I dropped my caps. The deer stayed within 35 of me for over a half hour. I was just shaking like a leaf.

After he left I climbed down and put in a new cap, aimed for a tree and no problem.

Lesson learned I always keep extra caps with me in my pouch.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM

Haha ive been bowhunting. well this is my 3rd year and i shake more then anyone i know, i get so freakin excited my knee's go crazy, especially if im cold. In those 2 years i have under my belt , ive killed 11 deer and i shake just as freakin hard now as i did the first one i shot lol
Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Spike

Yes and Yes! I get the shakes during many different types of encounters of deer. Mostly though it's when I have a direct confrontation - whether that be just drawing back or actually taking a shot. It's very normal for me to have to sit down and calm my shakes down after shooting a deer so as not to fall out of the treestand! My Dad has always said - if you don't get excited when a deer comes near you it's time to hang it up! But obviously it's a personal thing. For me, it's the reason I enjoy bowhunting so much.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I've only taken 1 deer and it was with a gun. Oddly, When I saw the buck come in my mind went into a mode more like a checklist of things to do (put in earplugs, take safety off, breathe correctly, pick a spot, make sure of what is behind the target, good vital path etc) I was so concerned with doing everything right because it was my first shot on any live animal that the gun went off before i could get nervous.

However, once I realized what had just happened i was shaking like crazy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.