Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One of those hunts .... >

One of those hunts ....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One of those hunts ....

Old 10-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default One of those hunts ....

Yeah, one of THOSE hunts. The kind where it seems likeeverything that can go wrong does?

I decided to head out to my stand this morning before work. Alarm goes off at 4am and I drag myself out of bed. After showering, grabbing my breakfast and coffee I head outside to get my camo. Open the containerand take out my backpack (Camelback type)only to find it's soaked and so is everything inside the rubbermaid container. Crap, I had forgotten to empty thebladder full ofwater from Tuesdays hunt. [&:] The hose came offinside the backpack and almost 2 liters of water leaked out. [:'(] Now everything inside the container hadthat dampodor to it.

Ok, so I grab the 2nd container with my other camo. Thankfully that one was ok. I throw on my x-scent base layers and rip one of the elastic bands on the ankle. (Those things are a tight fit around the foot by the way)

I finally manage to get the car loaded up and I head to my location. Arrive around 5am and get suited up in my camo. Grab my gear from the car and spray everything down with Scent Killer. Pack up and head into the woods. The wind was perfect for one particular stand and I'll be darned if I didn't walk past it at least6 times before I finally found it. [&:] I attach the base of my climber and start working on the top section. As luck would have it the top section slips out of my hands and loudly lands on the bottom part. Great, now every animal in 2 square miles knows where I am.

Finally I manage to get secured in the tree and I pull up all my gear. Get settled in and start to let things quiet down. As the woods slowly start to light up I remove an arrow from my quiver and get ready. I have 2 deer come down the trail I was overlooking but it was still too dark to make a shot. I could barely see their outlines but it appeared they were both does. Finally, there is enough daylight and I'm eagerly waiting for more action. As I'm sitting there I look down and noticed something wasn't right with my bow. Wouldn't you know it, I must have nicked the cable with the broadhead when I removed it from the quiver.On the right sideof the yoke litteraly 1/2 of the strands were severed. [:@]

Needless to say the hunt was now officially over. [:'(]

I stayed on stand until about 9am just to see if anything was moving. Fortunately nothing else came down that trail this morning. I can only imagine the feeling if a legal buckwould have strolled through.

At least I got to enjoy the morning in the woods.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Default RE: One of those hunts ....

Yea it happens to the best of us. That stinks that you have to get your cable replaced during the season. Better luck next time.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

And this is "one of those days" for you? Huh? That is every day for me....

I am joking ofcourse. I hope your next hunt is more successful and lessriddled with problems.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM

You almost know it even before you get out the door. And then some days couldn't go better.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear that. We've all had them days. None so far this season, but I'm going out tonight, knock-on-wood!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it wasn't just "one of those hunts". It's turned out to be one of those days! [&:] Can't wait go get home from work and relax. Going to finish fine tuning thebackup bowtonight so that I can have it ready for Saturday while I wait to get a new cable for the Patriot.