Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lighted Sights?

Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Lighted Sights?

Last saturday i had an 8pt walk 20yds in front of me and when i came to full draw on him i could not see one pin on my sight so i let him walk. Then just yesterday at Wal-mart i saw a truglo 4 pin sight with a light for the pins that was $20. Just wanted to know if this sight would really work for low light situations. Currently using a pse f-15 sight.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Lighted Sights?

H4L, I switched 2 weeks before season. Freaked my husband out! I hunt alot of low light areas and I was having the same problem. I went with the Cobra 3 pin. It is awesome. There are a lot of fiber optics on each pin...with a cover that can be removed for brighter pins. I keep the cover on in the sun light, or the pins are too bright for me. It also has a knob to turn on a small light inside the fiber optics for even more light on those dark cloudy days in the woods. I shoot a Hoyt Vipertec and am very happy with my set up now. About $80.00 for the Cobra.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I have a light on my Trophy ridge and it gives me at least 5 extra minutes of low light shooting time. Like you were talking about ther comes a time when you cannot see the pin but still have leagal shooting light. On mine i had to put a piece of electrical tape with a tiny hole cut in it over the bottom of the light. This is because the light made the pins so bright I couldn't see past them. You just need to experiment with it before hunting with it. But yes the light definately helps.Also works goodin a ground blind.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 AM

I agree, they are good for low light, I don't currently have one, but have seen them and they look like exactly what I want and need myself. I also hunt a low light area, especially in the mornings when the sun is coming up behind me. I will probably buy one for next season, I just didn't get around to it this year, had a new bow that I was more worried about obtaining accuracy with first and foremost!

I'd definitely splurge, I wouldn't get the $20 one though, I would go for a little better quality one if I were you, I've looked at both, and I'd rather pay more to have a better made one with better, heavier quality and more durable systems in it, I'd hate to turn my knob and the light not come on with that 8 pointer right there!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have to check yer state laws cause some states don't allow lighted sights. I am pretty sure that Iowa doesn't allow them but correct me if I am wrong cause I am gonna go get me one if it is legal.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before going out to buy a whole new sight don't forget to check with your sight manufacturer to see if you can purchase a light for your current sight. This may save some $$$ over buying a whole new sight. I purchased one last year for my Spott Hog sight and I love it.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh lighted sights do work quite well. I had been using a Toxonics Solotrak sight with lighkit for several years but then switched over to a Cobra Sidewinder Radiant this year. It is so bright I don't even need the light but it is nice to have regardless.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: MasterBlaster

I have a light on my Trophy ridge and it gives me at least 5 extra minutes of low light shooting time. Like you were talking about ther comes a time when you cannot see the pin but still have leagal shooting light. On mine i had to put a piece of electrical tape with a tiny hole cut in it over the bottom of the light. This is because the light made the pins so bright I couldn't see past them. You just need to experiment with it before hunting with it. But yes the light definately helps.Also works goodin a ground blind.
Ditto, I just subsituted fingernail polish for the elec. tape. Scratch a little off until it's just right.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do decide to buy a new sight, I would strongly consider looking at some vital bow gear sights, especially three pin in-line versions. They have incredible fiber optics. I have one, and everyone wants to know what it is. A lot of my friends and relatives who shoot have started to order vbg sights because they really are so incredible.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a red dot unmagnified scope

Quick Reply: Lighted Sights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.