Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Michigan Opener

Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Michigan Opener

Lazy pretty much hits it on the head...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

i was up at my cabin in newaygo county and were were hearin shots at like midnight and such. all those poachers need to get their outta there @ss!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 AM

It didn't help that it was 80 degrees out. I also heard alot of shots going off in my area. It drives me nuts, and the 4-wheelers that drive around making alot of noise too. I caught one doing 360's in front of my truck. He bolted when he saw me coming out of the woods
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I completey with Mathewsboy that the MI DNR is the worst in the country. Absolutely no clue on what the herd is really like and they are so damn lazy with getting out and talking to hunters about the herd, instead of all the pr*ck conservation officers being concerned if you have one too many bluegills in your pocket. I could go on to no end about the DNR, but this will suffice for now.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

I completey with Mathewsboy that the MI DNR is the worst in the country. Absolutely no clue on what the herd is really like and they are so damn lazy with getting out and talking to hunters about the herd, instead of all the pr*ck conservation officers being concerned if you have one too many bluegills in your pocket. I could go on to no end about the DNR, but this will suffice for now.
I couldn't agree more. Here is an example:Every spring during turkey season the DNR are back by where I hunt. They are back there trying to catch people poaching Sturgeon as they come up stream. Now, keepin mind that this is the very same woods I deer hunt and listen to people shooting things at wee hours of the night, but they don't care about that. Save the sturgeon but screw the deer. So I get stopped by a DNR (which is latin for senseless lazy idiot) because I'm trying to locate a gobbler by the river where the cotton pick'n sturgeon are. I proceed to tell him that I could care less about the fish and that I am after a longbeard. I then tell him that come Oct. 1st they need to heavliy patrol the area after dark fordeer poachers. We tent it back there and so we here all of the shots all night long and see all of the spotters so we know where this goes down. So this Oct. 1st rolls around and same ole crap. Midnight poachers and no DNR. What more do they want??? I told them what was happening, where and when. Un-friggin-believable.Useless, worthless, uneducated, lazy,powertripping idiots. Did I forget anything?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think all of those names pretty much sum up our fine DNR. In the UP where we are I know that poaching is also a problem, but more from guys that bait at shoot at night than the drive-by kind. Either way, its rampant but just add it to the list of DNR shortfalls.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you fellas about the DNR not being on the ball, but you have to look at it from a different perspective than most. I own 40 acres of cedar swamp surrounded by farmer's fields in Harrison (mid-MI). Last year was the first year in over 10 years that the deer population was up enough to see deer consistently. I've seen years up there that I quit counting deer after a couple hundred down to years where I've hunted a month without seeing a deer. What I'm getting at is attributing this to the farmers needs to control the population. Years ago the farmers threatened to sue the state if nothing was done to curb the herd and crop damage. I think this woke up the state and since then they've issued block permits not only in hunting season but all year round as well. Not to mention the farmers that blast away at the deer year round to protect their crops. Not sure what should be done though.

I have never missed an opening weekend for bow until this year. I don't hunt when it's 85. This weekend will be good though. Good luck to all us Michiganders, especially Mathewsboy!