Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What really works?? >

What really works??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What really works??

Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 AM

Default RE: What really works??

if the criteria is; that the deer actually come up and physically touch or smell the scent or container. then I have never seen any of it work. don't really mess with it anymore..
Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Fool-proof secrets to seeing deer on the stand.

1) Scout.
2) Scout.
3) Scout.
4) Pattern the deer you scouted.
5) Scout.
6) Scout.
7) Perfect your deer pattern.
8) Determine the right area to hang a stand.
9) Determine the right tree (wind directions, sun directions, cover, distance from the typical deer route).
10) Hang the stand.
11) Determine the right conditions to hunt the stand.
12) Get in the stand early, stay still and quiet, and leave late.

If that doesn't work, you need to go back to step 1. Scents, calls, decoys, bait, food plots, and other advanced tactics are like a little bit of frosting on the fantastic cake you made in steps 1-12. If you plan out the wind right, cover scents aren't terribly important (important, but not the secret), and if you put your stand in the right spot, you shouldn't have to bribe (scent, bait, food, decoy) the deer to come to you. They're already there!

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:54 AM

FL/GA,
Great response! I do all that you had mentioned. If I sit on a stand 60 times per year (sept-jan)...Im would guess 50 out of the 60 I see deer.....30 times I have a shot. I shoot 2-3 selected animals per year for my own consumption & have enough time & opprtunities to take more if needed.....thats plenty for me! Soto what you had written all new & seasoned hunters should follow that method or steps if they want consistant sightings.

I am just looking for a couple of good reasons (peoples feedback) not to waste my $ anymore on lures & such. The only cover scent I've used is fox urine...& that didn't work @ all! So for grits & shins...Im gonna try the vanilla extract a few times before the rut to see if it has an adverse effect.

Henny
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Your right henny I didn't tie that back in but the rest did. Sorry call it morning still not awake. I use my scents only for stopping the animal in a shooting lane. Otherwise, I use nothing. What's to say the buck gets on my trail and goes in the opposite direction. Remember, it's a 50/50 chance. Also, the resisdents do a great job in the mornings with cover up scents. They are wearingperfume and after shave. If it's in the evening, there is a fire burning and smoke is in the air.

Like I said I use it for stopping the deer. If your in an area and you don't want to walk across a trail, put some on a stick and toss it to where you want him to stop and smell.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scents don't mean jack, if they're not used properly or at the right times. Early season I pretty much just use cover scents and try to stay scent free. Later on in pre-rut, and rut I do bust out the scents, but results for me are mixed to say the least.

Calls, I've also had mixed results. I use them very little, and if I have seen deer after using them, I can't tell you whether or not they were just passing through, or if they were responding to calls.

The buck/doe ratio is so outta whack where I'm at the rut isn't intense. Deer don't respond well to calls or scents.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

What realy works you ask. It is called Time and patience, and it starts in mid summer with the Bino's!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:49 PM

Hi Henny,
I too have experimented with many. I did have little success with vanilla in the terms of small bucks. Did bring a couple right to ladder to sniff and lick. Never pulled any monsters in. Other scents, tried Mrs. Doe Pea, Tinks, you name it - no results.

The crowd is right - scout, pattern, stand location, scent free and hunt the wind.

I have however been quite successful in generating activity with real antlers - a heavy set of 8 pointers. I used to use lighter 6 pointers and ended up with smaller bucks coming in - they were easier to carry. The horns combined with grunting work well in my arebut have a fairly competitive rut. That is the biggest factor on deer reaction to horns, grunting and snort wheez.

Anyway - give horns a try if you think there is good competition for does. Some big rattling horns might get you a look at another big set!

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rattling with a real set of antlers is my favorite. Before rut I use them sparingly just touching the tines together. When the rut starts I give them a good banging. I'm sold on this technique.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm the only one around thats had good results with certain scents I must be one lucky dawg! Either that or I'm the only one taking extra precautions and using them right. Either way , it doesn't sound like you want advice with scents , it sounds like your just looking for others who feel the same as you.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:48 AM

It cracks me up to read these forums. Makes you realize you are not alone in questions and opinions. I have become discouraged by attractants myself. I have tried everything and realized it really does not make a difference. And about the Vanilla, I had heard about this 2 years ago and began to use this as a cover scent last year. Still not sure if it works but I will continue to use it again this year just in case. Vanilla extract is cheap!

Quick Reply: What really works??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.