Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Second Day Buck

Old 10-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Second Day Buck

After not getting a shot on an 8 point that came in to my soft rattling on day one I headed to a different spot with a wind change. I only had the one stand up but couldn't hunt it so I put up the pop up blind.

Had the door facing upwind in the one direction there was no shooting lanes or the opportunity to make them. It was up a rock pile fence line bordering a soy feild. Well you guessed it. He walked right up that rock line in the thick stuf. I heard a rock move so stuck my finger in the little 1 inch crack to get a peep. He was right there at 7 yds.

He saw my finger pop through and he took one frantic leap into the soy feild and stopped in one of my shooting lanes straddling the 25 yd marker to check out what was up.

As I raised the crossbow he turned slightly to me. Arrow flew and entered just past the shoulder into one lung and liver. 60 yds acrfoss the feild and he crashed into the bush where he was found about 40 yds in. Things got quiet pretty quick so I am sure he piled up fast and expired but I waited for 2 1/2 hours to get flashlights and re-enforcements for the long drag out . Confirmed a perfect shot.

Only one brow tine so he's a 7 pointer. First deer with a stick and string. I know, I know all you bow purists. Next step is the compound. Gotta get proficient first.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Default RE: Second Day Buck

Congrats. Crossbows are not as easy as a lot of people make them sound. I had an old compound given to me in High School and my dad recently moved and gave me his crossbow. I will get a compound before next year, but a crossbow is better than no bow. Guaranteed.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice big deer, congrates
Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting, a hunter is a hunter- no matter what his weapon of choice.

Congrats on the buck!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

thats one beautiful deer congrats, nothin beats that early season coat before they get a little beat up
Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 PM

sweeet buck, congrats
Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations! I really like the sound of "I got to get proficient first." While us "bow purists" tend to think of archery in terms of not having the bow sitting on a gun stock, I would a whole lot rather see you use a crossbow until you feel adequately proficient. Too many people grab a bow, put a few arrows through it and head to the woods. And, like Dave said, a hunter is a hunter. Congrads again!!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

nice buck...congrats!!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice, OntElk. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Second Day Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.