Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where are the deer in this picture >

Where are the deer in this picture

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where are the deer in this picture

Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM

Default RE: Where are the deer in this picture

Now its your turn. This is actually a new place I recevied permission to hunt this year. This is good ole SW Missouri Timber. Lots of white oaks. No food plots yet, just solid blue stem grass. No cattle. Only bush hogged once this year and only about half of it. Ponds are weak, but when it rains they hold water. The deep ravines are deep and steep. I dont think the topo do them justice.

A lot of my success is due to topo maps and aerial photos. Our conservation department website has an awesome aerial map site on the webpage that blows terraserver out of the water. Point being. I had no previous people to tell me past sightings. I did find some old home made stands though. I got permission to hunt about 3 days prior to our Sept 15 opener. Using my ATV, GPS, these maps and my love for huntingI was able to place myself on deer the first hunt. Actually 5 bucks and one shooter. I actually missed him at 39 yards. It was a nice 140 to 150class buck.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2005, 03:45 PM

man thanks for the link, that is pretty sweet..... I am going to fancy it all up and show you where i hunt now...
Old 10-03-2005, 04:17 PM

There looks like a few funnel areas in the red X. The topo was kinda small so I couldn't get much out of it. I don't see any ponds, do the deer use creeks for water? Unless a pond is well surrounded by pasture, there is almost always some deer activity close by.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:58 AM

how can I upload my pic of my land so i can show you. I am on a work computer and don't have access to my server from home?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM

The location you put a square around, that is the roundaboutlocation I have been watching. Here is a map of current stand locations and deer sightings. The one area with all the dots and the arrow pointing upis where I missed one of the big boys. Still mad about that. But thats bowhunting.

Season is young, we will have to see what else happens. Good guess though.

This would make a good forum. A place where guys can upload their pics and get ideas from others. Problem is, 100kb only. Makes ittough to get them shrunk down to size.

Oh well. Good luck this season.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: hillbilly17

how can I upload my pic of my land so i can show you. I am on a work computer and don't have access to my server from home?
First you have to save the picture from terraserver to your computer. Then make sure it is shrunk down to below 100kb. (different software can do this) Then, upload and make sure and click the embed picture in post button.

Good luck.
Chris
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 AM

Here is part of our land. I could'nt get it all in the picture. Sorry!

The reason there are two diffrent sets of stands is they are sepperated by the people who put them up. We all hunt out of the diffrent stands depending on Clients and wind.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Why do you seem to be avoiding the area I'd be interested in first? Is there something I can't see in the picture. It looks like a gully with a ridge on both sides and lots of thick trees.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM

Ahh you ruined it for us. Should have just gave us the picture and let us try and figure it out. Oh well. Looks like a great place.

Chris from SW MO
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Why do you seem to be avoiding the area I'd be interested in first? Is there something I can't see in the picture. It looks like a gully with a ridge on both sides and lots of thick trees.

There is some activity in there. There is a large patch close to the small pond (upper left) that was cut a few years ago. Right now it is too thick, were talking 2-4” saplings every 6” or so. I’ve walked it out a couple times and never found any sign. The other part is just the opposite. There is pine trees graciously spaced out. Deer sometimes bed in here, but it is probably 500 yards long by 100 yards wide, and they never seem to cross or bed in the same spot. Hopefully next year I will have more time before season starts and I can put a feeder in there to try and concentrate traffic. Also, we have had a severely dry summer here and there is nothing in the woods to eat. No acorns, berries, muscadines….NOTHING. Most deer are bedding close to fields, feeders, or food plots and are not as deep in the woods as they normally would be.

Edit: There is a small creek through that area, but it is dry this year.