Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trying to figure out what happened >

Trying to figure out what happened

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trying to figure out what happened

Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trying to figure out what happened

Brisket Hit - the deer could lose some good amounts of blood initially (nice and dark red). But should hopefully survive.

I can't explain the clean arrow however.. it should at least have some clear, sticky material and more white hair.

White hair is the key to the brisket hit.

The deer could have gone for miles on a brisket hit.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:03 PM

I have seen something similar once. A friend of mine swore he made a great hit on a doe, and we found a good amount of blood at first but not a single drop on the arrow. The blood was great at first but trickled about 100 yards into it and eventually wewere down to drops every 20 feet about 1/4 mile in. Wedid find the deer bedded down eventually and when it stood up in it's bed the guy made a helluva shot on it.It piled up about 40 yards after that. The "great hit" ended up being an arrow across the very top part of the back of thefront leg that did not hit bone or the bottom of the chest. It really was a helluva slice on the back part of the leg that I'm not sure would have been lethal. I can only guess why the arrow wasn't bloody as the muscles that were sliced retracted like a spring leaving a void that the arrow flew through, but it was the cleanest arrow I've seen. Maybe lightning struck twice?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:21 PM

I WATCHED my buddy shoot an arrow through the temple of a doe. The arrow hit skull on the other side and all that energy in the arrowhad to go somewhere.The arrow sticking out of the skull started bouncing around and it sounded like a really loud tuning fork. We could hear it at 20 yards.

AND WE NEVER FOUND THE DEER!

Sometimes, you just lose even when you win.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Strange
Old 10-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad was back out again last night and looked prior to the the shot and there was no sign of blood anywere. I'm starting to think he just grazed the side of it and he saw the blood mark and not an entry wound.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 AM

so shes probably still out there then.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 AM

One time I was hunting with a friend and a good buck came by, I shot. I got down to inspect the arrow and it was perfectly clean, but there was a blood trail. I was perplexed. Well, I met up with my friend to wait a while for the deer to expire, and told him my story, He had also shot a buck. Well you guessed it, his buck came by me and I missed. Its too bad I missed because we never found that deer.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you look for hair at the shot site? Did the arrow have any smell to it? There should have been at least a few clumps of hair with the broadheads you were using. Another theory is maybe just one blade opened up a nice slice and the deer bled - (no pass through with the arrow).

Those guys though really make me wonder if they found the deer dead and took it.

I would have also suggested back tracking the deer. But with the way the deer bled after the shot, I think it bled from his arrow.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob,

My Dad was there last night and did back track and did not find anything. prior to the site of the shot. The only hair we found was the 1 on the arrow.

I'm leaning toward the one blad hitting the deer and opening it up. There was no smell to the arrow and it was completely dry.

In 20 years of hunting, I've never lost a deer that bled this much. I really don't know what to think at this point.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM

THIS MAKES SENSE
ORIGINAL: hillbilly17

Makes sense that the other guy may have shot her. Only because you say he was walking around behind your stand and the deer didnt run off when you shot. If the deer had already been hit, it may have been in shock from the first arrow. Did you ever find the deer?