Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!! >

Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!!

Old 10-02-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!!

Well I went out for my first hunt yesterday & say not a thing , not even a squirle so SAD!!! we know there in there seeing how we have found trails & doe drops , so I guess we just keep trying .

I guess what im trying to ask is , Is this normal not to see anything we were in our stands at 5:00 am until about 11:00 then out & back in at 4:00 -7:00 does this sound right .

Well were off again its 4:00 am & I hope we see something today

JOSH
Old 10-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!!

This time of year it is often very, very slow...sometimes referred to as the October lull. I wouldn't burn yourself out spending too much time on stand at this stage of the season. Catch the deer going back to the bedding areas in the morning...don't hunt edges of feed fields in the morning this early in the season because the deer are likely chewing their cud in cover. In the afternoons catch the deer transitioning from the beddingareas to the feeding areas but likely you won't see anything until right at dusk. Be patient. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see anything that drew a breath my first 4 or 5 times out this year -- very unusual for me. I knew things HAD to improve though -- and they did -- last week when it finally cooled off. I saw a monster that now haunts me and I managed to kill a doe that evening.

Things WILL improve!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 AM

Don't get discouraged,where i hunt i usually see deer every morning but this heat has been so bad they just have not been moving.Until saturday morning it was quite chilly and they were moving and i took a doe.Be patient and good luck
Old 10-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your head up kid, it'll get better. My biggest advice is don't hunt the same stand day after day, the deer will catch on and you'll continue to not see anything. Switch it up and keep them deer guessing!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 AM

Sounds great guys thank you for the info I figured it was kind of early yet in the season , I just found fresh droppings today it wasent doe it more looked like a dog droppings but skinnyer & darker with remanets of corn in it does this sound like Buck droppings. ALso I could have sworn I heard doe calling this morning ALLOT I tried to call her in but no luck , were the only 2 guys hunting our woods its private property so I dont belive it was someone else but you never know . Im not giving up just yet I know there around & I ve found lots of deer tracks in the mud so its just a matter of time, I may move my stand this week .

JOSH
Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year can be tricky. Stand placement is critical. You must get on a feeding travel route or you will probably see nothing. I usually hunt from first light to about 10:30am and that's it. Sometimes I will hunt the last few hours. Later in the season, when it gets cold and the rut action picks up, I will really pour it on and hunt dark to dark as many days as I can. Don't place too much expectation on any given hunt. Enjoy the time in the woods, apply your hunting hours wisely so as to maximize your odds, and the rest will happen for you. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

But you learned a lot. If that happens another time or two....then you will have learned that what you're doing isn't working and you won't do it anymore. Take me for example. I've been bowhunting about 35 years. Me and Ted Barta have shot about 80 whitetails a piece with the bow. [8D]I went hunting Saturday to the same spot I saw 14 deer on Friday. Guess what I saw Saturday...... NOTHING! Some where in there there's a moral to the story. I'll have it figured out in another 35 years.[&:][&:]
Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 AM

Sometimes I go for days not even seeing anything but its all about timing. Thats what keeps me going back. The day you decide to skip hunting may be the day that big boy walks by that empty stand.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Be patient and don't hunt too hard too early in the season or you might get discouraged. Remember one thing also.......all the planning and science in the world doesn't always work. We are in the deer's house when we are hunting them and despite all the success stories you read about......it still isn't that easy.

Quick Reply: Well Im a new hunter & saw nothing!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.