Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Where did it hit? >

Where did it hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where did it hit?

Old 10-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Where did it hit?

Sooner, two weeks ago I had a similar experience. A good size doe offered me a broadside (slight quartering) shot. This year I switched to carbons and the arrow zipped so fast that I could not see exactly where I hit. Right after impact, the doe took off like she was freightened by something but did not look hit. The doe went about 20 yards and then started to walk slowly like nothing happened. I was a little concerned but continued to watch her walk off. She walked about 60 yards and finally started to "hunch over" but kept walking out of view. I marked the spot where I last seen her and about 15 min. later I checked out my arrow. I left the arrow lay and left the woods for about 2 hours. The arrow was covered in dark blood - I was concerned because of the dark blood. Later, I returned with some help and NEVER found one drop of blood - NOT ONE DROP!!! This has never happened to me and I was sick to my stomach. I started questioning my shooting ability. We searched for several hours and finally we found it about 40 yards from where I last spotted her - in the complete opposite direction that the doe was heading. She was in some real thick brush and I was very happy that we did not give up.
My shot went into the gut area at first but then traveled through the heart and hit one lung prior to exiting. I couldn't believe we never found a drop of blood with a complete pass through.
So what I'm telling you is don't give up. Good luck.
By the way, this is my first time posting and I'm addicted to this board. I've been reading from this board for almost a year now and have learned a lot from all of your experiences!!! Good work!!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where did it hit?

Be patient.

It's not a briskit hit or there would have been tallow on the arrow. Though dried were you able to determine a color of the blood?

I got a high left lung and the arrow passed through the liver on my doe last week. I have a picture of one drop of blood that was pivital in my tracking [shown with a machinist's SS Ruler at http://members.w-link.net/~dick_cres...ock2_small.jpg We followed the trail 164 yards on our hands and knees finding a drop every 5 or 6 feet.

One of my partners gut shot one the other day. The shot was high and passed through the gut and exited low on the other side. The deers reaction to the shot and the blood trail were classic liver hit shot. However when we found the arrow the next day it was covered by intestinal matter. Again though it became a trail of one spot after another butr we tracked her to her bed then marked the spot and recovered the animal [not long dead] the next morning.

Just be patient and follow the trail. Tracke and direction ofg travel are vital clues too.

I would suspect a high one lung hit . . . and would also expect to find the animal in her/his her first bed if you didn't inadvertantly push her/him

I hope this helps.

Bowhunter