Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for Texas Hunters >

Question for Texas Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for Texas Hunters

Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for Texas Hunters

I'm reading hte rule book and it defines a buck as "A buck deer is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin".

I know of at least 1 buck that is still in velvet. Would this be considered a buck or would I need to tag it as a doe if I harvest him before he sheds?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for Texas Hunters

Josh, my hunting buddy in texas killed a buck 3 years ago that was in full velvet. We were wondering the same thing, we tagged it as a buck and took it to the check in, the game warden happened to be there and so we asked him if we had done it correctly. He said that if there is visible protruding antler, then it must be tagged as a buck. Button bucks on the other hand are not tagged as bucks, but "antlerless." He said just go by the tag, it either is antlered or antlerless.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:15 AM

The difference is that velvet is not skin. On a button buck the buttons are still covered with true skin and hair. On a buck in velvet the antlers are protruding through the skin. Don't know what part of Texas you're in but I bet he won't be in velvet long. Most of ours went out a month ago. He may be the odd late one that TPWD didn't count on. They are usually in velvet one day and out the next.

There are a couple of rare exceptions to what you are talking about also, and they are hermaphroditic deer, antlered does, and castrated bucks. Some of these can grow antlers that are never shed, keep growing, and never go out of velvet. Racks will often be small and mis-shaped also.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I was looking into it too much. Since it said HARDENED antler, I figured that was shedded of velvet also.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

Josh, my hunting buddy in texas killed a buck 3 years ago that was in full velvet. We were wondering the same thing, we tagged it as a buck and took it to the check in, the game warden happened to be there and so we asked him if we had done it correctly. He said that if there is visible protruding antler, then it must be tagged as a buck. Button bucks on the other hand are not tagged as bucks, but "antlerless." He said just go by the tag, it either is antlered or antlerless.
Where were you hunting that you had a check in station? Just curious.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 AM

Must have been a WMA to have a check station in TX.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:45 PM

I was wondering about the check in station. I been hunting in texas my whole life and never had to check a deer. IF it has horns its a buck and nubs aint horns.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I've never seen one either, they say they do exist though...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antlers in velvet are harned antlers they just have a soft covering but the antler hardens as it grows so anytime there is antler it is hardened antler. Even in July or August the antler under the velvet is hardened antler. At least according to Dr. Kroll
Old 09-30-2005, 02:38 PM

That's interesting Silent. I was under the impression antlers were soft and easily damaged while in velvet. Dr Kroll sure knows more about it than I do though. Thats about as close as it gets to gospel in Texas. If I knew how to post pictures here I would show you an interesting one.

Quick Reply: Question for Texas Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.