Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kill this spike or not? >

Kill this spike or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kill this spike or not?

Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kill this spike or not?

I have always hade discussion with guys on my farm about killing spikes. Most of them say to kill them because that's all they will ever be. This spike looks to be one that I personally think will never develop into something great? Any thoughts??
[/align]
Old 09-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Kill this spike or not?

Definitely a big body on it...meaning an older deer. I don't know if I would call it a true spike though since it looks to be a small "Y". I would shoot the animal for the meat but not just because of the rack issue.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on if I was seeing deer or not. Meaning if had some meat in the freezer I would definately pass, if it was later in the season and I had no wall hangers or does in the freezer then I would probably cull him from the herd. Im not sure about a spike always being spikes or not but if he looks like he's older than 1 1/2 then maybe they will never grow any type of nice rack? This early in the season I would pass for sure.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree w/ diesel. The seasons young, there will be many more opportunities.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:19 AM

Let him grow...If ya kill him he certainly wont grow into anything better.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get him out of the gene pool, he is a mature deer. How many more ya want around like him....think about it. As they say the apple dont fall far from the tree!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's really hard to imagine that there are people ot there that think once a spike always a spike. I have seen some old deer that were spikes no doubt but that doesn't mean they were always spike. Although there probably are a very very small percentage that will always be spikes bu the overwhelmingmajority will go on to have better rack. So no I wouldn't shoot it without a better look atit. If it's an old deer then shoot it. If it's a young deer then let him grow.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

WELL ONE THING FOR SURE ...IF YOU KILL HIM HE WILL ALWAYS BE A SPIKE .... LET HIM WALK UNLESS YOU NEED THE MEAT ..

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would pass on him, if you want meat, shoot a doe. A spike has a possibility to always be a spike, but not probable. Most spikes were born late the fall before and have got off to a good start. I was talking to a guy from texas who raised deer. I asked him the same question and he stated that he has had 2 spikes, that when he gave the right nutrition and time to grow, the one grew into a 130 inch animal and the other into a 140. Now these may be exceptions, but it does prove that once a spike not always a spike.One thing is for certain, the season is long and he will be around, wait it out and see what else comes along. He certainly will never grow any bigger if you shoot him.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like an older deer. I'd shoot.

Quick Reply: Kill this spike or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.