Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trailing Deer - Color Blind >

Trailing Deer - Color Blind

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trailing Deer - Color Blind

Old 09-29-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Trailing Deer - Color Blind

I am red green color blind, and I cannot track deer blood, especially when the ground is the least bit wet. The red blood looks the same any wet leaf to me. I use a string tracker, but sometimes the string breaks, leaving me almost helpless. I often hunt alone, so I need all the advantage I can get. I have been told that a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle will foam when it hits blood. Does this actually work? If so, what ratio to use? Any other suggestions?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trailing Deer - Color Blind

Yes it works.. Peroxide foams very well when coming in contact with blood.

I'm not sure what part water/peroxide you would use..
But peroxide is pretty cheap, you could prolly just use that and not even mix it.. Or maybe do 1/2 and 1/2
Old 09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man that's tough. the porx. will foam but if the deer went even 50 yds is would seem you would need a ton of that stuff. Take your cell and have somebody head your way right after the shot. That way by the time they get there it will be time to track. ( If the shot was good )
Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 AM

Grab a hunting buddy or your old lady who isn't color blind is the best advice I can tell you.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM

The problem with calling anyone is that I hunt a long way from home/friends. I am considering training a dog.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah a misting spray bottle may work. I know they sell some solutions that do the same thing or actually turn the color of blood to something brighter. I also think there's a lamp (UV?) that will cause blood to glow. Try looking in Cabela's or some other outfitter for similar products. Or buy and train a dog to track for you, or hire these guys:

http://www.deersearch.org/

according to an article I just read a blue filter on a flashlight will cause blood to stand out. Don't know if that helps you any, but:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/247/sesent/00

Saw another product
http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/XeLED_BT.html

but it's pricey and uses a red beam so I doubt that'd help.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought I saw, a sensor of some kind that can find downed game..Don't know if they work, but as high priced as they are..I'd hope so
Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Um...Thatsa good one. I have to agree with Mo, it would take many bottles if the deer run that far. You could train a dog but then you would have to go get it. You might as well just go get somebody.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM

I just did a little searching and found this: www.bloodglow.com

...BlueStar® blood tracking reagent will pick up blood droplets unseen by the naked eye and make them glow bright blue in low light conditions. Works in the rain when blood trails disappear...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also think there's a lamp (UV?) that will cause blood to glow
i have heard many times that a colman lantern will make blood stand out in low light/dark conditions.

or you could move north and hunt in the snow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.