Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how accurate should groups be >

how accurate should groups be

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how accurate should groups be

Old 09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how accurate should groups be

I have my bow sighted in at 10,15,20 yards. How accurate should my arrow groups be. At 20 yards 2 of 3 arrows are 2 or3 inches apart. The other arrow is probably 4 inches from the rest. This type of grouping happens all the time I shoot. I am a bit nervous that when I am out hunting I will hit the deer in nonvital area.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how accurate should groups be

Is it always the same arrow...?? Could be something "Off" with that arrow cause Erratic flight... At 20 yards a 2-3" group should suffice... But you should get that last arrow in there with them... Practice Practice Practice...

Good Luck
Old 09-28-2005, 01:14 PM

20 yards with a 2 inch circle with 3 arrows should be pretty good. I have my pins set at 10, 20 and 30 yards. Most of my shots are 20 yard range.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Buddy, all you can do is practice and practice. No matter how good of a shot you are, something can happen in the field. The reason we keep shooting is because we are all afraid of a nonfatal hit. Choose smart shots at unaware deer and trust that all your practice will pay off!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 PM

20 yards = 2", 30 yards = 3", 40 yards = 4" and so on. I would be marking that arrow that wanders off, mark it and see if it is always the arrow that is out of the group. This happened to a buddy the other night when he was shooting.
Why do you have a 10 yard pin? I was always told and have pretty much seen that anything under 20 yards is going to hit where the pin is, there is not enough yards between you and the target to get any drop at the speeds these bows are shooting. I have a 20, 30 and 40. Anything inside of 20 gets the 20 yard pin. But pay attention to the angle of the shot as to where you place that 20 yard pin. Aim for the exit hole! That is my opinion anyways, if anyone disagrees I would like to know why, maybe I am wrong??? But this is what I practice and it seems to work.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM

I use the same standard of measure that tpriest suggested. 1" for every 10 yds.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you in the KILL ZONE...stop frettin so..your OK
Old 09-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Instead of just putting arrows through targets...try to see (feel)what you do. I had a similar problem with a stray arrow here and there and thought I was torquing or doing something wierd with my bow holding hand. Turned out I wasn't keeping my anchor solid. Feel for where your anchor is on your cheek orwhatever. With myparticular release, I know I am good if my trigger finger knuckle is right under my ear and the top part of my finger rests against my cheek.
Then practice practice practice making sure it all feels right.
Sounds like you aredoing something right...keepit up

Tim
Old 09-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Like others said, mark your arrows. I number all of mine so I can tell if ones off or its just me. I just bought some new xx78's and one looks straight and I haven't hit anything but the target with it but it consistantly is a few inches off.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM

You never will hit anything by trying not to miss..........

Quick Reply: how accurate should groups be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.