Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How cold (Hang a deer)? >

How cold (Hang a deer)?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How cold (Hang a deer)?

Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default How cold (Hang a deer)?

How cold does it have to be for you to leave a field dressed deerhang overnight?

With hide?

Without hide?

I like to bone mine out right away but I'll leave it overnight if its close to freezing!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How cold (Hang a deer)?

I would say below 45. Jmho.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like it when its below the freezing temp---0c
Most deer shot by myself or the guys in the gang will hang our deer for a minimum of 2-3 days.Then I will skin it and butcher it.
Most nights here will get below the freezing temps during hunting season.During the day it will be fine if it hits 5-10c in the shade.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

40 OR BELOW AND YOUR DEER SHOULD DEFINITELY BE OK OVER NIGHT WITH THE HIDE ON. JMO
Old 09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO WARMER THAN 40 degrees farenheit.....just like your refridgerator is ..hopefully
Some say de-hide them asap to allow meat to cool..contamination control.....but if temp is already cold 40 degrees or less you should be good to go! I ASSUME YOU GUT THEM WHERE THEY FALL!...HEAT IS LOST THAT WAY.....MORE THRU SKINNIN...IF ITS BELOW FREEZING IN THE WOODS ....NO WORRIES MATE!!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 PM

Actually I take the hide off and hang it in my walk in cooler which I cool with a good window air conditioner for 3 days before cutting them up.I think it helps the meat to start the break down proccess and makes it more tender.i try to keep my cooler between 45 and 55.I have also read many stories about guys hanging theres for a week in caves.Which were about 65 degrees to help the meat tenderize and such.I have never had a problem with my deer meat going bad.I make sure to wash it out very well first.When it gets colder and there is no need for the cooler to be running then I leave one of the doors cracked to allow fresh cold air in.Have to keep it closed enough so the cats and dogs cant get in.Had my dog eat the whole front half of a deer off in 3 days a couple years ago.Talk about mad...........
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

Id say if you had the deer skinned you could leave it hang over night around 10 hrs or so in 50 degree weather but then id say youd want to get it butchered and cold right away.
JOE
Old 09-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Several years ago I watched a butchering video for deer and the butcher recommended below 40.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dont leave the hide on it.effects the taste.And no meat should be left to freeze thaw freeze thaw.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

40 is about perfect. but i like to take the hides off as soon as i get it hung. just for the ease of getting it off. anyone who has left a hide on and it has frozen or stiffened up knows how it feels to tug on that.

Quick Reply: How cold (Hang a deer)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.