Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattaling

Old 09-25-2005, 06:54 PM

Default rattaling

what would be the earliesttime to rattle in the season?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rattaling

depends on where your at... You could tickle some antlers together tomorrow and perhaps scare up a young buck (if that's what your looking for). Or maybe you'll spook something else... who knows. A real safe time is much closer to November when the sparring is heavy. If I'm counting on the rut in my area coming in mid Nov. I'll personaly not do anything serious with rattling until Nov.

But that's just me and my feeling about my local herd...
Old 09-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on where your at... You could tickle some antlers together tomorrow and perhaps scare up a young buck (if that's what your looking for). Or maybe you'll spook something else... who knows. A real safe time is much closer to November when the sparring is heavy. If I'm counting on the rut in my area coming in mid Nov. I'll personaly not do anything serious with rattling until Nov.

But that's just me and my feeling about my local herd...
Right on brother I dont know about South Dakota though but for me not till novemeber!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

while i'm in ky nov 18th i'll probably rattle. somewhere around mid-nov around there is a good idea. or would i be wrong in thinking this for my area in south ky.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

I saw three bucks sparring and playing glassing the toher night. I think earlier in the season is a good time, when bucks are still travelling in bachelor groups they usually have little sparring sessions amongst themselves, nothing serious.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:22 PM

In south Texas the rut dosent kick in until the second week of December and will run threw Christmas. I'll normally start rattling when we get our first cold front in December and will rattle each day until after Christmas.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anytime is a good time to start ratiling during the season in Sept. This is when the bucks begin social sparing. Dont go in there and slam the horns together like a brawl, but just tickle the horns together, and be ready. Rattle for abotu 20 seconds and wait about 20 minutes, you dont want to spook that big one that may be bedded down no more than 50-100 yards away from you.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen a couple good bucks sparring already here in Ohio
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

carry em with ya...use em...you never know....its not a perfect science More important is to keep a constant look out and be ready to draw/shoot/kill....GOOD HUNTIN 2 YA
Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Tx Panhandle and Oklahoma no earlier than 1st of Nov. usually. Personally I like about the 5th-20th for best results IN MY AREA. Need to be in an area with a dominant buck, and give 'er He!!. Doesn't always work but when it does the payback can be huge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.