Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stand height....crucial? >

Stand height....crucial?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand height....crucial?

Old 09-25-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Stand height....crucial?

I have been hunting deer for the past 15 years & my dad (a lineman by trade) has allways preached getting way up there...at least 20'...higher if possible.

Ok...so I usually am anywhere from 18-22' depending on the stand (using climbers). Now my biggest quandry I have now is should I be primarily concerned with how far off the deck I am..for scenting reasons..or should I be more concerned with concealing my siloute?

The reason I ask this now is my favorite stand which my dad got made in a few times last year is in a great spot. The way I have set it up now...its about 20'...but if deer come in a certain way...your siloute is exposed. My new theory is to only go up about 14-15 ' (on the same tree)where my siloute will be well concealed by evergreens...but will sacrifice some shooting lanes.

Please give me your take on it. I hope I drew you an acurate picture so you can relate. Also I hate to sound like Im leaving anyone out but...this question is mainly for those with a lot of hunting out of tree stand experince...especilly bow.

I appreciate it,
Ryan
Old 09-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stand height....crucial?

Toughcall. I would probably opt for the shorter stand height and give up a few shooting lanes. What good will the spot be if the deer keep picking you off from it and start avoiding it all together?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have a loc-on in a bunch of pine trees that is no more than 12 feet of the ground. I cut shooting lanes out and I take deer from that stand every year. I could have put it up at 25 feet or more but I like to have some cover around me. I think you would be better off wraped in cover than in the open.

SF
Old 09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I generally like to be somewhat higher but have done better at lower heights. I'm actually forced to go lower because of the brush and denseness that if I went higher the shooting lanes would disappear so I don't know that I've done better lower or just seen more deer lower because more often than not I have no choice. Same old thing, play the wind, try to control your scent, and most everything else is choice. Definitely would be breaking up your silhouette
Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 AM

stand 'placement' is more important than stand 'height'.I like to be around 20 feet, but that can change depending on the situation.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The higher.. the better.. with clear lanes.......thats why theres.. TREE LOUNGE
Old 09-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Most of my stands are only 12-14 feet and it works for me.
I agree height will get you out of there vision better but
I get a little shaky way up there. So i learned to use my camo
and brush around my stands to hide in. Its all about placement
and cover.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Hey...thanks for all the replies...this forum is awesome baby! Go Red Sox!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1192971

this is another thread on tree stand height. i am a firm believer in concealing your silouette,i dont hunt as high as some, but alot of folks do hunt 12' and under.....
Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 PM

i have put one of my stands at maybe 12ft. my buddies are always telling me i hunt too high. not more then 20ft. i am finally going to try hunting from a little lower. there does seem to be more shooting lanes at the lower elavations. it could go either wat though. i do have the other stands at 20ft. i do like the 1 have at 12ft. i will be in that oct1st.in michigan. southeastern michigan in the irish hills. good luck james

Quick Reply: Stand height....crucial?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.