Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Careful Atlas, those little deer are great eating, but they can not feed a big crowd for dinner. You will need to shoot more little ones, or breakdown and wait for a big deer
Old 01-07-2006, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Careful Atlas, those little deer are great eating, but they can not feed a big crowd for dinner. You will need to shoot more little ones, or breakdown and wait for a big deer

That's why I shot 2 of them

The 13 pt I shot a few years ago we got 82lbs of meat from........a normal deer around here yields near 60lbs......the smaller ones you get somewhere near 40lbs.

It's not worth the wait
Old 01-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 13 pt I shot a few years ago we got 82lbs of meat from........a normal deer around here yields near 60lbs......the smaller ones you get somewhere near 40lbs.

It's not worth the wait
You also shot it in gun season. AKA post rut. If the buck was 3 1/2 as you claim he would have been packing alot more weightup until thefirst week or so of November.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's why I shot 2 of them

It's not worth the wait
Its not worth it, hmmm

2 big deer 164lbs meat

2 little deer 80lbs meat

I know I am from MI and just a software developer(no math skills), but it looks like you get a little bit over twice as much if you shoot to big deer.
OR
Shoot 4 little ones then whine there are no deer around to shoot anymore and blame the DEC or DNR.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea but look at all the sport in shooting all those E D B D ones.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:18 PM

in 2003 i was 13 and was the first year i bow hunted, although i saw some deer only two came into range. both where small BB's that i passed up. so it made me realize i had to put some time in onbetter stand placement.in 2004 i scouted very little hung stands in better spots and i shot myfirst acherybuckand also the biggest buck i had ever shot which just got me hooked on bowhunting. last year "2005" i put in my fare share of hours scouting, hanging stands and preparing myself for the season. on opening day i could have shot 3 bucks, two where spikes and one was a small 4 pointer. i was not going to fill my buck tag on a small buck on opening day i had decide soi held out, later that morning i took a big doe a little after 10:30am. as the season went on i shot another large doe and then with a week left to the season i took a nice 7 pointer to end my year. so no while i may not shoot huge deer i don't want to fill my tag with a small youngbucknow next year i amlooking for something bigger then that 7 pointer maybesomething i can hang onthe wall
Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

in 2003 i was 13 and was the first year i bow hunted, although i saw some deer only two came into range. both where small BB's that i passed up. so it made me realize i had to put some time in on better stand placement. in 2004 i scouted very little hung stands in better spots and i shot my first achery buck and also the biggest buck i had ever shot which just got me hooked on bowhunting. last year "2005" i put in my fare share of hours scouting, hanging stands and preparing myself for the season. on opening day i could have shot 3 bucks, two where spikes and one was a small 4 pointer. i was not going to fill my buck tag on a small buck on opening day i had decide so i held out, later that morning i took a big doe a little after 10:30am. as the season went on i shot another large doe and then with a week left to the season i took a nice 7 pointer to end my year. so no while i may not shoot huge deer i don't want to fill my tag with a small young buck now next year i am looking for something bigger then that 7 pointer maybe something i can hang on the wall
Great job, and good luck
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Its not worth it, hmmm

2 big deer 164lbs meat

2 little deer 80lbs meat

I know I am from MI and just a software developer(no math skills), but it looks like you get a little bit over twice as much if you shoot to big deer.
Yea but the big deer is the only one of that size I have seen in the last 17 years so your math is more then a bit off........not to mention you used 40lbs as your example and 60 is the "average" deer........In that same time frame I have gotten thousands of pounds of meat at 60 and 40lbs a clip.

Like I said...........not worth the wait.

Shoot 4 little ones then whine there are no deer around to shoot anymore and blame the DEC or DNR.
I'm not "whining" at all...........just telling it like it is. You make it sound like I am the only guy in NY saying it
Old 01-07-2006, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Yea but look at all the sport in shooting all those E D B D ones.

That's right man..........anyone can double lung those big boys but it takes a cool hand to drill the lungs on a button
Old 01-07-2006, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: killer243

in 2003 i was 13 and was the first year i bow hunted, although i saw some deer only two came into range. both where small BB's that i passed up. so it made me realize i had to put some time in onbetter stand placement.in 2004 i scouted very little hung stands in better spots and i shot myfirst acherybuckand also the biggest buck i had ever shot which just got me hooked on bowhunting. last year "2005" i put in my fare share of hours scouting, hanging stands and preparing myself for the season. on opening day i could have shot 3 bucks, two where spikes and one was a small 4 pointer. i was not going to fill my buck tag on a small buck on opening day i had decide soi held out, later that morning i took a big doe a little after 10:30am. as the season went on i shot another large doe and then with a week left to the season i took a nice 7 pointer to end my year. so no while i may not shoot huge deer i don't want to fill my tag with a small youngbucknow next year i amlooking for something bigger then that 7 pointer maybesomething i can hang onthe wall

What does any of that have to do with this topic??

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.