Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe with 4 fawn

Old 09-23-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Doe with 4 fawn

I was driving through a state park about a month ago with a buddy and the deer are like bugs there. They are so used to people and vehicles that they just continue what they are doing if you stop and watch. Anyway, we where driving out and come up to a doe that had 4 fawns with her. All the fawns where playing with each other....chasing each other around and runing all over the place. the doe was just eating and keeping an eye on us. I have never seen a doe with 4 fawns and thought it was unheard of. We thought that she may have adopted 2 fawns as there were no other does around. I am saying that they where all hers.....because I don't think I will ever see that again They all looked healthy. what do you guys think. Could she have had all 4?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doe with 4 fawn

I GUESS IT COULD HAPPEN BUT I KNOW I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DOE WITH 4 FAWNS.....TO BE HONEST I HAVEN'T SEEN A HOLE LOT OF DOES WITH 3 FAWNS
Old 09-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anything is possible! I have seen 4 different does with triplets this season alone!!!! I have only seen 1 doe with 1 fawn. All have had either twins or triplets!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:10 AM

I wonder if two aren't from another mother that maybe died or something and the one you saw has "adopted" the other two. Don't know, does this happen?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:17 AM

It is rare - but it does happen, especially on ranges with good nutrition. Triplets are not uncommon on good ranges where the herd is kept in check and nutrition is plentiful.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Most Ive seen was twins in deer although I have a cow that has had triplets which Ive never seen before, so I dont see why it would be impossible for it to happen.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Havent seen it in my neck of the woods either.This si the first time I have heard of anything like this.My guess is they were adopted from another doe.Could also be that the other doe is a older one and has come into estrus early so is off breeding and left her fawns for the time being.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW one hot MOMMA. And this was in a park where hunting is not allowed with a over population of deer, and the deer wizards tell us that many deer hurts fawn production ???
Old 09-23-2005, 11:46 AM

Probably adopted or the other mother got separated from them for some unknown reason prior to you sighting the doe and 4 fawns. I've seen a doe with 3 fawns in late November when I'm shotgun hunting...knowing the other Mom was probably dropped or hit by a car.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree that it very could possibly that she adopted the other two..or other one if she had three. Four seems like such a stretch.

Quick Reply: Doe with 4 fawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.