Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 coyote encounters >

coyote encounters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

coyote encounters

Old 09-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Spike

Default coyote encounters

Has anyone had any encounters with coyotes on the ground and what has been the behavior of animal(aggressive orstays out of your way)?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: coyote encounters

I have only one encounter that I could relate with a coyote. This was about 3 or 4 years ago and occurred right at dark. I was walking back to the truck after legal hunting arrows were over when I happened to walk past a thick stand of pines. As I was walking past I heard a low groooowwwlll sound. I turned to look and noticed the coyote silhouetted against the ligtened sky on the other side of the pines. I didn't waste time and continued to walk towards the truck though the coyote never moved from his original spot.

I didn't really interpet that as aggressive but rather that he was just letting me know he was there.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

anytime i have ever seen a coyote they got out of the area as fast as they could. i have one on film that i taped for bout 10 minutes and the second he heard my stand creek he didnt even wait around to see what it was he just took off on a dead run
Old 09-22-2005, 12:05 PM

I have had lots of encounters with coyotes. If they wind me or clearly know that I am a human they are gone in an instant. If they are unsure they will sometimes sit and watch just ike a deer would. my site: www.pbase.com/mlo3135127
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Over the last 5 or 10 years my father and I have called hundreds of coyotes, and unless there is something wrong with the animal (rabies, ect) as long as it knows you are a human it will get the he!! out of Dodge...99.9% of the time. Coyotes are curious animals, but they are not dumb. Man is their primary killer, and they know it. Sometimes they do not recognize you in camo, but as soon as they figure it out they will be gone. Don't worry about it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM

I've hunted yotes a lot and the closest encounter for myself was one came to within 5 ft of my cousin from the back side, and growled at him, when he turned around it took off like a streak of greased lightning. I've called them in while deer hunting but have yet to shoot one with the bow.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Over the years hunting and dealing with my cows Ive had numerous encouters with coyotes. Only once have I ever felt threatened which happened when early one morning whenI came face to face with a pack of 5 or more. At first they broke to run then stopped and began to look at me in a way I wasnt comfortable with. Luckily I had my 7mm instead of my bow. One warning shot and they were on their way and I was on mine back to the camp for a clean pair of underwear.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I had one run a couple feet in front of me, don't know if he knew I was there until I moved. My brother had one barking at him in his treestand. He said it lasted about 15 minutes before the coyote left. He never had a clear shot at it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM

bow 27,

The barking is the coyote ratting your buddy out to all his friends. They are real good at that. In our neck of the woods (no woods really) they do this from about 300 + yds, showing that they also realize how far the average shooter can hit something with a good rifle.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen yotes on my lease several times and they have always headed the other way in a hurry. I'm thinking about trying to take one with my bow after the deer season. That should be quite a task.

Quick Reply: coyote encounters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.