Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Question

Well, I'm new to bowhunting, and of course, I've got some questions. I bought a new bow a little while ago. It's a Hoyt UltraSport with a 29.5" draw, and it's set at about 65lbs. It's a got a Whisker Biscuit rest and a Copper John three pin sight. Here's my problem. I've only been able to shoot it a few times since I bought it a few weeks ago. I shoot it consistently, but for some reason, it shoots really high (about 9"). This past weekend at my cabin I shot several series, tried making adjustments to the sights, and it still shoots high. The sight is almost as high as it will go without compromising visibility. I'm wondering if the arrow rest has anything to do with it, and if maybe the hieght of the rest needs to be adjusted? I'm going to take it in to the shop later this week, but just wanted to get your perspective first. You don't have to worry, I'm not planning on taking it in to the woods any time soon.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question

It is possible that the rest is set too high. Does the arrow pass squarely across the rest mounting hole in the riser? It should. Also, your anchor position may have something to do with it. If you anchor particularly low on your face then that will cause your peep to be higher on the string and thus your sight needs to be positioned higher as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Remember that when adjusting sights on your bow, you have to move them opposite of where you want the arrow to go.

Perhaps your are lowering your sight pins, when you should be raising, etc.?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Well, I was hitting high, so I tried raising the sight a bit. It just seems like I can't raise the pin enough to adjust the sight to where it needs to be, which led me to believe that it might be something else.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:07 PM

i'm not really good at givin' advice for bows, i'm a newbie myself...but maybe your knocking point is too low...correct me if i'm wrong guys...but pick yourself up a bow square and check it out...they are fairly inexpensive...from common sense to me if your knock is maybe 1/8 or so higher that might give you enough room to move your pin down a bit...again correct me if i'm wrong, i don't want to have the blind leading the blind...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:32 PM

i would say go and maybe adjust the peep sight if you use one move itup or down which ever not sure which direction but it my just help