Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bow or cross bow >

bow or cross bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow or cross bow

Old 09-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Default bow or cross bow

I hope someone can help me ,
I want to learn to shoot a bow but with a messed up shoulder, i was thinking a cross bow, I did check into it and i can hunt here with a cross bow. any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bow or cross bow

Not to bring up the whole crossbow versus bow debate...if you have a medical concern and are unable to draw a bow of sufficient weight to kill a deer efficiently then I see no issue whatsoever with using a crossbow. There are a variety of decent ones on the market today. What type of price range are we talking about here?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:07 PM

i cant spend 500 on one not with hubby getting cut 2 work days, I was looking at this one from Cabelas but not sure about it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&rid=&i ndexId=cat20024&navAction=push&navCount=6& amp;parentType=index&parentId=cat20024&id= 0004436

Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Visit some pro shops that stock both and have a range , then try out as many as you can . Pick what works best for you and have fun . I shoot both and love both equally .
Old 09-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is funny you should bring the RC-150 up as I have that crossbow. I bought it two summers ago though it was a solid limb version. They appear to have made some changes to the design this year.

I will tell you that it is quite accurate, very quiet and pure fun to shoot. The only downside is the speed which typically hovers around 245 fps. Slow compared to most crossbows on the market but most crossbows aren't this quiet and this easy to cock back on your own.

Good model for some that is price conscious.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM

Thank yall for answering my questions As you can say Im a pup lol just learning to hunt this season even with a rifle lol,I needed something not only at a fair price i can afford but for a beginner

Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 PM

i cant wait to go hunting

Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Not to bring up the whole crossbow versus bow debate...if you have a medical concern and are unable to draw a bow of sufficient weight to kill a deer efficiently then I see no issue whatsoever with using a crossbow. There are a variety of decent ones on the market today. What type of price range are we talking about here?
I see no problem with a crossbow, medical condition or not.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 1stTimeHuntingGal

I hope someone can help me ,
I want to learn to shoot a bow but with a messed up shoulder, i was thinking a cross bow, I did check into it and i can hunt here with a cross bow. any suggestions?
1st.time ; the rc150 is not a bow you want to hunt with.that is the first one I got ; and like you, didn't know anything about them.they are 150 lbs. but like the stroke to deliver the arrow at the energy you want.

I now shoot the Barnett quad 300 , they stopped making it last year and went to the quad 400.in my opinion the 400 is a great bow.
I have to shoot a xbow because of and injury that stopes me from shooting a regular bow. ( I would rather shoot a compound , by 110% , but can't and thats that).
the strok on the 400 is like 20" and the rc150 is like 14".thats just to much difference.

you can get the 400 package for $300.00 except for the broadheads.
I shoot the NAP Spitfire 100 grain and have great luck with them.I have posted several pic's this year.
do a search on "spitfire revisited" and take a look at what they do.

there are a lot of good xbows out there, the barnett has a great warrenity,just call and they will do what ever it takes to fix any problems.

my wife and I both shoot the quad 300. my wife has taken 3 this year so with her q 300....good luck with what ever you deside.