Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finding your arrow after the shot >

Finding your arrow after the shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finding your arrow after the shot

Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Finding your arrow after the shot

I faintly remember a post about finding your arrow after the shot, but I cannot seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.

I use one white and two green vanes on my arrows. The spot where I am hunting has some green leaves and green grass on the ground. When I shoot a deer, will I be able to find my 26 3/4" arrow? At what angle does it go in? I am shooting this 410 grain arrow at 273 fps. I get about 67.72 KE. Thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Default RE: Finding your arrow after the shot

I usually have little to no problem finding my arrow once its shot. The angle that it goes into the ground after passing through a deer depends on the angle at which you shot it at. I just visually mark where the arrow should be if i can't see it stickign in the ground and usually have no problems finding it. I use a bright odd colored vane (hot pink) this year as it stands out from anything else in the woods and makes it easier to spot. Hope this helps alittle.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is how I find mine.

I wrap them in a bright wrap (currently white to flo orange fade) and fletch them with bright fletchings (currently two flo orange feathers and one flo orange barred feather). This makes it very easy to find them during the day. Any bright color will do I just like to make it something very different than the surrounding natural colors. Such as flo green if you have a lot of green foliage.

I also get some reflective automotive tape from Walmart and wrap a piece just under the wrap but touching it so as not to create a black seam. Shine a flash light and your arrow will instantly light up at night. Just like a reflective trail marker.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 PM

one tip is to practice from the blind or stand so you know the flight characteristics.
fill a milk jug with spray foaminsulation,set it out on the ground and shoot at it from many positions.
this will force you to focus on a smaller target (kill zone size) and revile the arrows landing angle.

PT
Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt on the ground and almost never find the arrow
Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't see how anyone could have a hard time finding a pass thru from a tree that is stuck in the ground. I used to use camo arrows with dull orange and yellow vanes, still found them easily. Just know where the deer was standing when you shot.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah thats on a pass thru but what happens if you don't get a pass thru and you hit bone?I hit a doe a little high last year and like to never found my arrow.I switched this year to flo orange wraps with white flecthing and white nocks and i'm thinking about trying lumenocks!!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

A different color fletching besides green that will not blend in would probably be a better choice. Orange in particular or maybe red.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last yr my arrow was about 5 ft behind where i shot my buck , it went completely threw the boiler room clean , and was in a bush about 5 ft away , laying completely flat , so they dont always stick right into the dirt unless ur at a steep angel , i shot mine at like 15 yards and it still did this too boot, my key to finding them is white wraps and white fletch with one yellow for the cock feather!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 AM

You have to make a mental snapshot of where you shot the animal. If it is a pass through, the arrow should be sticking in the ground at that spot or laying on the ground if the animal kicked it over. If you are hunting where there are a lot of rocks, the arrow could skip away. In that case, I like to watch the arrow and not the animal. It usually stops in a second or two and you should still be able to see or hear where your animal is going. It hurts to lose a $21 arrow and they can tell you information about the shot. If the arrow stayed in the animal when it ran off, you will have to follow the blood trail until you find it.

I also use white wraps, bright yellow vanes and white nocks.

Quick Reply: Finding your arrow after the shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.