Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 friend or foe?  buddy sticks a stand 40 acres awayfrom mine!! >

friend or foe? buddy sticks a stand 40 acres awayfrom mine!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

friend or foe? buddy sticks a stand 40 acres awayfrom mine!!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: friend or foe? buddy sticks a stand 40 acres awayfrom mine!!

40 acres is a lot of space. I think you can still be friends.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:17 AM

FYI- A square 40 is a quarter mile by a quarter mile. So you 2 could be over a quarter mile apart.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't get worked up about it.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

So is it 40 yards or 40 acres?

Again I'm confused. I agree with verybody here on this, 40 acres is a plenty.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im sure the guy meant 40 YARDS not acres, c'mon guys you should all know hunting ebonics by now.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 AM

and your worried about what[&:]
Old 09-13-2005, 11:51 AM

He meant 40 yards. Bottom line, this will test your friendship and if he's a true hunting buddy. It all depends. If you are both good hunters, safe, quiet, ethical, etc., it should not be a problem. During bow and sometimes during shot gun season my buddy and I hunt within 40 yards easily! It all depends on your relationship, the terrain, the rules of making sure you let the herd into the area and don't take the front/lead deer, etc.

But, I do see what you are saying as another friend of mine is just getting into deer hunting and I was doingt he nice thing 2 years ago taking him out to teach him what i knew and sharing a few spots. I went on to show him my honey-hole where I've been very successful over the years and a week later on opening day we walk in together. I set my stand up and he says he's going to walk to the other end of the field. Fine with me. I was expecting him to walk 200+ yards down the road. Instead, as I belted myself into my stand I see his flashlight and he was only about 20 yards away. I was like, "What the *&^%! is he doing?!" This stewed me all day. I never really said anything, but I did hint that the next year we have to cover more ground and have hinted over the off-season that he needs to take the time to scout more hunting areas.

Talk to your buddy...
Old 09-13-2005, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Drizzu213

hello fellow hunters imin a spot need some advice/help. A buddy of mine and i were talking the other day about where he was going to hunt and to my suprise he told me he was setting up a 40 away from my prime spot!!!!!!!! so naturally i was pissed off,because if he hunts there on a northwind it i think it will screw my spot up cause where he wants to sit his scent will blow straight at my stand!!!!send me your input please.
Its been edited and I'm still not sure of the distance. Why dont you re-post it?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

He meant 40 ACRES..
Old 09-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

It's your prime spot right, if he's a good friend, what does it matter as long as one of you get the big one. You both should be happy for each other if it happends. Maybe he just wants to share the hunt with you? He might just want to be there cause your there. If there is a good spot I find, it goes the same for my buddy, we always tell each other about it, if there are two possiable ways the deer could come we set stands in both places and hunt it together, 30yards , 40 yards , 50 yards dosent't matter to us, it about sharing the expierence with your best friend. I could not think of another person other than my dad who I'd want to be there than him. Maybe he is less expierenced and is looking to you for help, rather than tring to jump in your spot to steal a deer. Maybe your his only way of feeling confident in himself about a spot to hunt, if your there, it must be for a reason. Let him hunt there, even if it means loosing a deer to him, so what! Buddies are buddies no matter what, hunting , women, money, your friends for a reason.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

40 acres is roughly how wide that buck will swing downwind of him to check his location , which would put him right in front of you with his attention diverted for about 1 minute too long . Be sure to thank your buddy after you stick him .

Quick Reply: friend or foe? buddy sticks a stand 40 acres awayfrom mine!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.