Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

all day hunts

Old 09-12-2005, 02:20 PM

Default all day hunts

I've decided this year I'm gonna try spending the entire day in my stand. The problem is I get very restless and bored and have such a hard time standing past four hours. During the rut though esp. with the full moon I need to stick it out all day and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make time go by a little better. Or any other advise for an all day hunt in a tree stand. thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: all day hunts

day dreaming and sleeping.. but you might miss the buck of a lifetime!! I usually just stick it out and stay deep in thought. Mostly about what kind of deer is going to show up and from where. Then I day dream a little more about taking the deer and differentsenarios. Might want to bring a book (not as noisey as a magazine) and read that while in the woods. Just keep your ears out for deer.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:36 PM

ITS HARD TO STAY ALERT ALL DAY BUT MAYBE YOU CAN TAKE A NON SLEEPING PILL, LIKE THE TRAILER DRIVERS DO I SAW SOME ON THE GAS STATION AT A CIRCLE ""K""MAYBE THAT WILL HELP
Old 09-12-2005, 02:40 PM

Was thinking of taking my sony psp and turn the sound off. I can only do about 4hrs in the stand.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 PM

I only hunt all day because it is so hard to get to and from my stand in the swamp (a half mile walk through knee high water, most of the time, with 50 pounds of gear on my back). Once I get there, I tend to stay there until it's time to come back. I also mostly see deer in the morning and evening because that's when it is the coolest out. I usually stand up the first couple of hours and the last couple (ie prime time), then in between I alternate sitting and standing. I usuallybring a book and read in the middle of the day. That does two things for me: 1) it keeps me from nodding off as much, and 2) it does help pass the time. I can still listen, and I stop every couple of pages or so to look around. Works for me anyway.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Only way to do it. I day dream and go over my long life and remember the past .Talk to my love ones that died,Pray ,and Plan the future and even a cap nap.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

First suggestion would be to get the most comfortable stand you can afford. I have found that since I bought my Summit Revolution (lounge style climber) that I can stay on stand much longer than before.

Second, and don't laugh, I have taken up birdwatching as a way to pass the time in between deer sightings. You have to basically drag me from the stand some days.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Ok, you guys are going to think that i am crazy, but my mom bought me one of those little hand held yahtzee games and put camo tape on it. Yeah so that is what i do when the deer arnt moving and im bored in the stand. That and think about a 200" typical whitetail under me.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM

If I know I am hidden in my stand well enough I take a magazine to read.Or make some kind of cover for it and read.Either magazine or book.Helps pass the time.Everything is quiet when you read so you can hear if something apporaches.

Quick Reply: all day hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.