Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are crossbows cheating? >

Are crossbows cheating?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are crossbows cheating?

Old 09-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Are crossbows cheating?

I am in total shock! A crossbow thread that didn't turn nasty or became an excuse to bash others.

I feel pretty much the way the others do. I personally would not want to use one, but if it's legal and you want to go for it it's no skin off my back.

A lot of people argue they are too easy to use and learn to shoot accurately. I agree to a point, but they still take some practice and you need to know the weapons limitations. They are not magical killing machines that wipe out the deer herd. And I don't think it's a problem if they are a bit easier to shoot well with. I would prefer that to someone using a bow because they thought it was more macho and never practiced with it. Slob hunters will be slob hunters regardless of the weapon they use.

If you want to hear opinions on Crossbows though just type it into the search engine. There are a ton of threads about them. I don't think we need a thread with the sole intention of strirring the pot so to say. Especially when there are already so many that exist already.

Paul
Old 09-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows have been legal for bowhunting up here in Ontario for over 20 years. It has not created any of the problems that the crossbow bashers quote regularly. Everybody gets along fine. The crossbow has no more effective range than a compound, you still need the same hunting skills ( scouting, treestands etc ) and in the end the crossbow does not kill a deer any quicker or slower. The broadhead does the work just like any other bow. Sure they are much easier to master and shoot effectively but whats wrong with making quick humane kills on game ? From a business point of view it gets more customers into the proshops and therefore gives them a better chance of surviving than closing. Up here since Basspro opened shops are closing up not opening. And lastly to spread all kinds of biased and and misinformed information will just give antis ammunition against all of us. If you don't think archery is in thier sights you are naive big time. Lets all get along, the traditional shooters don't go around bashing guys with 80% letoff, releases and fiberoptic sights do they?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

oh lord.........this will be an interesting 15-20 pages.[:-]
Old 09-10-2005, 02:23 PM

I don't like them unless you just cannot pull back a bow. In Pa its getting way to easy for people to get the medical permit to use one. Its putting alot of so called hunters in the woods during the archery season that are just to lazy to practice and use a bow so they just get a crossbow and start zipping arrows around. I think that they should just put a crossbow season in for a week and keep them out of the regular archery season. The only problem is more people are buying archery licenses now so all the game commission wants is the money!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Nope. Not if it's legal. They give physically challenged hunters a way to get in the woods. I think it's great.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

parker1...I bet you don't even need a deer stand since your up on that high horse. I didn't realize one group of hunter was so morally superior. We need more hunters like you to save us from the evil doers of the woods. Once again thanks and keep that nose head high.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think so. It's just a different way to hunt. I doubt I'll ever use one but Idon"t believe using one makes you a cheater.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Crossbows are fine in a seperate season, they should notbe part of archery. I would try one if it was legal in NY, but then I'd try hunting with a throwing hammer if it was legal (and humane to the critter).
Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM

Are crossbows cheating?

nope.

Quick Reply: Are crossbows cheating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.