Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow?? >

is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow??

Old 09-29-2002, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow??

i might lower myself and go rifle hunting!! i mean ive been bow hunting only my first 5 years and have 2 small bucks, a 4 and a 6 and also 2 does but should i give in and rifle hunt for an 8 ?? im not going a great 6 or less now w/ the bow and will let them pass to grow up but im just wondering if i will get the jitters when a buck is 200 yrds away not 20?? im in a bow only zone and have the chance to hunt 125 posted acres of corn and hardwoods through all seasons and confused what to do??
Old 09-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow??

A rifle hunt can be just as demanding, and rewarding. We all have our preferences, but try it and see. You may find it is, or isn't as rewarding - for you.

I personally would not limit my options, with 8 points or better, just because I was gun hunting. A well placed shot on a doe, or even a small buck, can be the thrill of a lifetime for many. If you'd taken a dozen or more 1-1/2 yr old bucks in your hunting career, I'd be all for setting goals, I'm not trying to discourage you - we should be letting the young ones walk. Still, I think its important to "have fun" and harvest a deer that you will be happy with. If a rifle seems, "just too unsporting" to you - consider a blackpowder hunt, or even using a shotgun.

Definitely try hunting with other implements, if you do not like one, or all of them, you can always go back to bow only. When it comes to hunting, there is no higher or lower road to travel as far as I'm concerned. Do what you enjoy, If you've never experienced other methods of hunting, how could you possibly know?
Old 09-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

nothing confusing about it stick with the bow.
Where is the challenge of shooting something that is 200 yards away.
Guns where only invented for those who cant bow hunt.

Old 09-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

No doubt that bowhunting is the ultimate challenge. Gun hunting may be as rewarding, but certainly does not pose the challenge that bowhunting does. For me, a deer within 10-30 yards gets your blood goin, compared to a deer 200 yards away in a scope.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

All harvest should be exciting, else why do it! Bow is a challenge no doubt. However I don't share the idiology that bow or no go. I hunt with it all and equally enjoy them, with each season comes different challenges and I love being in Deer country. Buck fever can and will happen at 200 yards through a scope as it does at 20 yards through the pins.

Old 09-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably my most exciting hunt ever, was a big 9 point shot at about 15 yds with my blackpowder gun - The shot, the ball of smoke, blowing back in my face, the unexpected (and almost impossible bow shot - I might add) appearance of the buck, on opening day of our regular gun season, combined to make it an extremely rewarding, and memorable hunt.

Just because your gun might shoot over 100 yds, doesn't mean you have to! In the above hunt I described, I was hunting a heavy thicket, I supposed a smart deer might retreat to on the opening day of gun season. My longest shot possible was like maybe 25 yds. While I wasn't surprised it worked out that way, I would have been very hardpressed to get a bowshot at this deer. Instead of a story of the shot not taken, I have an incredibly good memory of one of the best bucks I've ever killed.

Don't let these guys disuade you from giving it a try, its not like you'll give up bowhunting, but it may add another dimension to your hunting experience.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guns where only invented for those who cant bow hunt.

That's great. I won't soon forget that.

High Country Archery - "Driven to greater heights..."
Old 09-30-2002, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gun hunts can be extremely rewarding, and challenging.
Find some thick woods and still hunt them, my 130" eight was taken this way, I got within 20yrds of him before we saw each other.
Leave the tree stand at home and try hunting on their level, you'll find that it can be alot of work, but well worth it.

"guns aren't for killing people, guns are for killing dangerous and delicious animals"
- Homer Simpson
Old 09-30-2002, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I have yet to make my first bowkill, this will be my third season coming up and I can assure you I will be totally pumped with my first bow kill. I also have hunted with both rifle and shotgun(depending on county)and still get a thrill whether it is a buck or doe. This year will also be my first black powder hunt which I am looking forward to also. I have found you see a lot more deer during bow than any other season, gun is a challenge also and a thrill, but nothing like a bow kill(I guess?).

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: is a rifle kill exciting compared to bow??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.