Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In The "Zone"

Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Site Bouncer

Default In The "Zone"

Ihave been reading alot of posts lately about shooting and accuracy and people asking if their groups are "good enough". Well it isn't long before someone responds with the old "that's shooting at a target and not a deer" statement.

That got me thinking about my shooting, when it's the "real deal" and there is a live deer at the other end of my arrow.

I don't know about you guys but for me it's almost like I get into a "zone" where nothing else is noticed. I don't feel cold, heat, sweat, rain,heartbeat, breathing, no bugs bother me...nothing. It's almost like nothing else exists. It's like I have tunnel vision and nothing else matters except my target. Once I'm locked on and fully drawn, I see nothing else but a small patch of fur. I am soo focused in that verymoment before the shot that I doubt I would notice someone standing right next to me.

On the other hand when I'm at the range my mind is going 100 miles a minute from thinking about my form to what the person is doing next to me to every day life. For me it's easier to be focused when I'm hunting and there has rarely been a time when my arrow didn't go exactly where I was aiming.

Is anybody else like that?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: In The "Zone"

Not me! Doe's don't get to me any more but that guy with the tree on his head does! I have to really pull it together and focus on what I need to do. Calm my breathing,pick a spot and drill it!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't have described it any better myself. I recall times when I don't even remember releasing the arrow. lol
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM

yea pretty much the same deal with me too.
except even during target practice i stay very focused. that way no matter what i`m shooting at, the form is exactly the same.

PT
Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Site Bouncer

I recall times when I don't even remember releasing the arrow.
I could have and should have added that too. That is exactly how it is for me!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM

The bucks still get me very excited and I have resorted to thinking things like, "Geez, I'm gonna hate dragging this guy out of here!" and things like that to get myself to calm down.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Site Bouncer

I don't want you all to think I don't get excited because I do........very much. When I see a brusier walking my way I can hardly stay still and my heart is going a thousand beats a second. It's when I get to the point that I draw on the deer that everything goes blank and I mean everything. All I see if a small patch of fur in my sight and I notice nothing else, not even releasing the arrow as was mentioned eariler.

It's weird but I am more focused at that moment than I can ever be at the range.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Ditto!! I hear nothing, I focus on one thing and one thing only.....make the shot. At the range, I don't HAVE to make the shot......don't get me wrong, I like a tight group just like the next bow hunter, but I treat each and every shot like it's my one and only kill shot. I love being in the woods with the stillness....then the crunch of leaves,....then butterflies in my stomach and goose bumps on the back of my neck......reaching for my bow and trying not to start shaking....I love it. Draw....Aim.....Release............The kill shot. The one and only shot that really counts.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's me in a nutshell. I get excited when I first see the deer but by the time it gets to me I'm cool. Until after the shot and then I breakdown again.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

that is DEAD on for me.....no difference at all.....i might be freezing....or have a real bad itch, and have to cough at the same time.....you know the type of feeling where your throat almost itches.....i could be right on the brink of letting off a big ole cough and then if i see a deer in sight......BAM, everything is focused on that deer.....honestly i dont even know if im breathing for that first minute or two when he comes into sight!! its a great feeling.

Quick Reply: In The "Zone"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.