Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this good enough Shooting? >

Is this good enough Shooting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this good enough Shooting?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this good enough Shooting?

I've been placing broadheads in a 6x6 target at 40 yrds everytime. Is that consistent enough to shoot at a deer from that distance? What do you think?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Is this good enough Shooting?

Are you saying the entire taget is a 6" cube? If so I would say that pretty good.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 AM

I dont really practice over 30 yards but ya id say thats pretty good.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 AM

It's good enough for me... I'm sure some will say no way. You make the call. If you can keep all arrows in the kill zone of a Mckenzie target, you will be fine.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

It's good enough for me... I'm sure some will say no way. You make the call. If you can keep all arrows in the kill zone of a Mckenzie target, you will be fine.
Ditto
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Good enough I think,, If you feel comfortable at that distance, Then I would say go for it...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Sure just don't shoot a dink and leave my momma out of this.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Shooting a target at 40 yds in your back yard and shooting at a deer at 40 yrds is quite different. You have to take the adrenaline factor into consideration. Not to mention, the deer's reaction to the release of the arrow. I saw something very interesting on the Dream Season last night. The participants ran a sprint before shooting at a target. By doing so, they simulated the adrenaline rush you get frombeing in the moment of shooting a deer. Try it and see how well you group at 40yds. It may or may not make a difference.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 AM

The recommendation I see allthe time is set your maximum range to the distance that you can hit a 4 inch target (circle) 100% of the time. The idea is that if you are this good on the range you will be able to hit an animal in the larger kill zone even when nerves, bugs, etc are distracting you. Personally, I think these hard rules based on marksmanship on the range aren't worth much. Wind, angle, deer behavior, nerves, stance, cover, etc etc are just as important when determining whether or not you should take the shot.

So... I would say you can defineately take a 40yd shot if both you and the deer are standing in a flatopen field, on a windless day, broadside shot, you are not shaking, and the deer has no idea you are there.

Good luck this season!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I would agree with the others, I practice in the same manner with 3", 6" and 9" targets up to 35 yards.

Had to qualify on Fort Belvoir bow only hunting at 20 yds, and 30 yds at a 9" plate for me my practice habits made that 9" seem huge..lol4 of 6 arrows had to be placed within it. Always room for improvement IMO

Quick Reply: Is this good enough Shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.