Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting on the ground without a blind? >

Hunting on the ground without a blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting on the ground without a blind?

Old 09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting on the ground without a blind?

I have set up a 5 gal. pail with my back to a big tree and had MANY close encounters--set yourself in a good spot and DO NOT MOVE!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Having something behind you to help break up your outline is just as important as having stuff in front of you. Give yourself plenty of room to move around too. You don't want your arrow hanging up of any of the brush you're using for cover as you pick up the bow. Also, once you settle in, scrape away all the twigs and leaves inside your set up so you don't make any noise when you move. Good luck. Seeing game up close and personal is a rush.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, that's a tough one. You have to be on top of your game to pull this off. Good ground cover, wind direction, setting up at the right ambush point on a travel route are a must. If you have any friends that hunt traditional style they could be more productive than what I have to offer. I ground hunted my first couple of years bowhunting. I selected 3 good ambush points each depending on the wind direction between the feeding and bedding area. Each was on the side of a hill in laurel that was 3 to 4 feet high surrounded by mature trees. I did get one buck hunting from one of the spots, but I didn't see near as many deer as when I started to hunt from a tree stand.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

must haves.....leafy camo, cover scent, wind in your face, ability to remain still and quiet, quiet equipment,light poundaged draw... say around 33ish..you may have to hold..at full draw for a while ...your can stand right next to the trail if you good enuf... im not yet.. HA...HA. Upclose and personal the only way to let an arrow fly
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 PM

I try to stay out of their line of sight. I don't care how good your camo is if your out of place they will pick you off even if you don't move.Find a corner that they will pass by or down hill from them.Also what Flairball said.Nothing compares to one from the ground.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:11 PM

YEP IT WORKS BUT ITS A LITTLE HARDER, I USE A GROUND CAMO NETTING AND IT HAS WORK PRETTY NICE TO ME!
TRY IT, ITSA BIT MORE RISKY

[/align]
Old 09-09-2005, 09:14 PM

me and my wife both shot deer out of hand made brush ground blinds
i like them and we had a doe walk up and it looked like my wife could have petted her she got so close and she didnt know we were there
Old 09-09-2005, 09:32 PM

I bought a Summit Trophy Chair that straps to the tree. I have used it several times and lots of success. Had a buck chasing a doe last year and they were so close I could have touched the doe. Had a nice buck walk right past me in it last year. Decided to let him go. I have been busted in it though also. I have bought some camo blind material to use from time to time. Just wrap it around some trees that are around you, but now I prefer to use natural cover instead. Check out the trophy chair. Its comfortable also.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used this approach with success (once&lt and have decided to try it some more this season on evening hunts whenI don't want to spook up my primary locations due to hot weather.