Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting? >

Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting?

I recently purchase a completely new set-up and my arrow groups got considerably worse. I've been pounding my brain trying to figure out why. To my suprise, I found that the new arrows I am shooting have straight vanes and I think they are the culprit.
@ 280-290 ft/sec could this be the problem?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting?

check my thread above yours helical is the best more spin especially on a new bow . Plastic wont get wet so it holds its shape better.....Afeather fletched arrow uses all left wing all right wing feathers. Feathers usually come from the wing pointer feathers of a TURKEY. You must never mix left and right feathers
Old 09-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vanes are heavier than feathers... which reduces your arrows' FOC balance. Lower FOC = Less stable arrows.

Vanes are heavier than feathers.... which adds weight to your arrows and makes them fly slower.

Vanes aren't nearly as good at stabilizing an arrow as feathers are.

Straight fletching isn't nearly as good as helical at stabilizing an arrow.

With straight vanes, you've got the worst of everything. But, on the bright side, at least they're waterproof.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Arthur P gave you all the pertinent info. If you have the right combination for YOUR bow, feathers or vanes won't make a whole lot of difference. It's the total sum of what you have, arrow size, head weight, etc etc that determine how you shoot. Little things like a tiny bit of helical just tweak it to perfection to fit your form etc. All that's well and good, but FIRST you have to have the right spined arrow for your set up and head. If you got considerably worse flight I would go back to ground zero and recalculate everything you need and have. Helical is good for me on a hunting arrow, but you have to make sure you're not using it to cover up a bad choice in arrow selection.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:35 PM

I was having a weight issue, not a vane issue. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why I couldn't hold a tight group from any distance. I mean...a pro helped me set up my new Switchback. He even cut the proper arrows for my setup. Unfortunately, he didn't recommend a particular weight for my field points, and I assumed I could stay with 100 grains. Boy was I wrong. After switching to 125 gr. field points, I was back to consistently shooting 3 in. groups at 30 yards. I can't believe 25 grains made that big of a difference.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I mean...a pro helped me set up my new Switchback.
.....and you thought it was the arrows, and here it was the bow the whole time.[8D][8D]
Old 09-04-2005, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: dangolbowhunter

I mean...a pro helped me set up my new Switchback. He even cut the proper arrows for my setup. Unfortunately, he didn't recommend a particular weight for my field points, and I assumed I could stay with 100 grains.
It sounds like you might still have a spine issue. I don't care who it is, they cannot cut the proper arrows without you shooting them. It cannot be done. I have 3 of the exact samebows. All three of them shoot different arrows. It takes time to get them right. You cannot just guess.Do you know how to bareshaft tune? Listen to Arthur P about the feathers.Helical all the way.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ewolf

ORIGINAL: dangolbowhunter

I mean...a pro helped me set up my new Switchback. He even cut the proper arrows for my setup. Unfortunately, he didn't recommend a particular weight for my field points, and I assumed I could stay with 100 grains.
It sounds like you might still have a spine issue. I don't care who it is, they cannot cut the proper arrows without you shooting them. It cannot be done. I have 3 of the exact samebows. All three of them shoot different arrows. It takes time to get them right. You cannot just guess.Do you know how to bareshaft tune? Listen to Arthur P about the feathers.Helical all the way.
How do 3 exact same bows shot by the same person need different arrows? Are they the same draw weight?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 AM

I have no idea how to bareshaft tune a bow. Although, I am punching perfect bullet holes with my current set-up.
Oh yeah David, Don't be hatin' on my Switchback.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:42 PM

ShadowAce not all bows, even of the same type, shoot the same. I have one that shoots 5 fps faster then the other at the same draw. Therefore that bow takes a stiffer arrow. We are talking 1/4" differences in the length of the arrow. However, they are different.

Quick Reply: Helical vs. Straight vanes(plastic) for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.