Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ruining a spot

Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruining a spot

With only ten days left till opening day here in NJ, i was talking to my hunting partner last night about our strategy for the first day. Here in NJ you have to shoot a doe before you can get your buck, so the question came up. The majority of our stands are on excellent spots that can and do produce large bucks. That being said, we cant shoot one till we get our doe. If we were to shoot a doe out of one of these spots on the season opener, or any day for that matter, will the disturbance cause those larger bucks to avoid the area if we gave it time to calm down after a kill, or would they continue to use the area? Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 AM

Default RE: Ruining a spot

I don't think it will affect them very much, unless maybe the buck or bucks are present when you take your doe. JMO

A couple years ago I killed an 8pt in an area where I was running a hog trap on a regular basis. Then 4 or 5 days later my wife killed her 1st deer, a nice 8pt, in the same lane.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 AM

It should not affect it at all IMO. I have shot deer from the same stand 2 weekends in a row. Some people may say that the gut pile will scare away deer but those remains are usually gone by the next day. I have friends who have shot multiple deer from the same stand within minutes of each other.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 AM

i found that the other deer will come to check out the smell the last deer i shot had 3 deer come over to smell him after he was down
Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that there would be a slight amount of concern in the bucks, but I don't think that it would ruin a spot. Just shoot the doe, and get it out of there quick. And then let the spot sit for a while afterwards, so the bucks think that it was just a one time disturbance.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 AM

I generally shoot a deer in a spot and wont come back again for atleast a week. I have found that if I shoot a deer in the morning that the smell of the blood and guts keeps the deer away. That goes as well for the next day too.. I generally try and set up a spot from where I will shoot a doe and not mess me up when I switch over to hunt for my buck. I like 2 stand locations.. JMO
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM

on my land i have set ups for both buck and doe.
the doe set ups are in areas they will frequent the most and the same for the bucks.
not that i think i would ruin a spot by hunting doe and buck from the same area.but why take the chance of YOUR scent polluting the area while you recovera doe you shot there.
once i start to hunt the bucks i leave the doe trails and areas and hunt only buck hide outs. sure doe will be there too but i have all ready hunted them.

just my thoughts.

PT
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you guys that it wont mess up a spot too bad, i will only hunt a spot once a week, max. Having different spots can be difficult here though, im hunting small patches of woods, some are only a few acres in residential areas. All of these areas have some very nice bucks in them since there is virtually no pressure on them, so i guess taking a doe off of one and letting it be for a week or ten days wont hurt it one bit. One thing is for sure, This next 10 days till the opener are going to go by very slowly.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Give it a couple days and cut off the does tarsal gland and rub it all over the trees and then leave it in the area. I know I'm stupid. Sure some one will say that.Thats what i do and never had a problem
Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two years ago I killed three does in the same hunting spot in 4 days. Two of the does I took were about 4 feet apart. The gut pile from the previous doe was right there in front of her and she didn't seem to mind. So no I don't think it will matter. However I did do this during rifle hunt so it might be warmer and nastier during a bow season which could change things. Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks
Tom

Quick Reply: Ruining a spot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.