Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how low to aim

Old 08-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Default how low to aim

Last late season i missed a really nice 6point because he ducked underneath my arrow. The shot was about 30 yards away. can anone tell me how low you should aim to make a good kill zone connection?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Default RE: how low to aim

that depends on the deer, if he is looking your way and seems a little uneasy, than u will need to aim 8-10" low.if he is just calm than if your bow is queit u should be able to aim right at the arm pit and hit good!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

it really depends. hard to say without actually being in the situation. on a calm deer, almost without exception (20 yds and in)aim for the heart. this way, even if the deer does jump the string, I have a very good chance at centerpunching the lungs. case in point-hunting last year pre rut. passed a nice eight, then had a doe going bonkers around my stand for an hour. just would NOT calm down. squirrely wind had her spooked. finally, she follows two yearlings in to about 15yds on an oak flat that I am sitting. I know she is spooky even though she does not appear it. I put my 20 yd pin all but underneather her and let it fly. I hit her 6" above where I was aiming, perfect double lung shot. It is something that you just have to experiment with. if you have the luxury of putting a stand up say in your back yard, take the time to shoot from it and experiment at different ranges. I did this yesterday and am happy to say I am right on. I use to shoot from my parents rooftops as well. 30 yds looks alot further than it really is. hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put the pin where I want to hit, if they duck, they duck. I tried that guessing game years ago and it ain't worth it too me. It's been a VERY long time since i've had one duck, so I'll just keep sticking with what works.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM

thanx for the help guys... ill definatly consider it all
Old 08-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

I always aim for the heart. That way, if they duck, I still get the lungs.and if they don't then I got a nice heart shot.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Always in the bottom third of a deer. It really depends on the deer, how he's acting, state of nervousness etc. I have aimed at the hair line on a deers belly before when they were really wired tight.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that aiming at the bottom of the body and behind the front leg would be low enough. Though deer can duck under about a foot. I had a doe jump the string last year.I was aiming fairly low on her and I shot about a foot over her back.

The best advice I can give you is to try your hardest not to spook the deer. They're way more apt to jump the string if they're alerted.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:14 PM

All advice given is good. I think the only thing I would add to that is to get your bow shooting as quietly as possible.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 PM

All advice given is good. I think the only thing I would add to that is to get your bow shooting as quietly as possible.
That, and make sure the deer isn't watching you when you punch that release. I was watching one of those hunting shows on tv today (yeah, I know), and this guy lets loose an arrow at what he said was 45 yards at a bull elk that was staring right at him. I was really surprised that he hit the animal at all (let alone make a pretty good shot).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.