Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer droppings tell sex >

Deer droppings tell sex

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer droppings tell sex

Old 08-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer droppings tell sex

Have always been told that the droppings will tell the sex. Does will drop pellet like droppings while a buck will be more solid, or pile. I have watches deer feed and have actually gotten down to check after they have left and have found this to be true in most cases. Anybody else use this as an indicatir when scouting??
Old 08-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer droppings tell sex

Hardly seems likely seeing that both sexes have the same digestive tract. I believe that the consisitency of the droppings varies depending on what they are eating and hydration. I did see some huge deer pellets a few weeks ago and hope they are from a huge deer..........dabow
Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard you have to tasteto be sure.

Steve
Old 08-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried that but can't seem to tell the difference either way. THanks though.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is some what true. Bucks will leave more of a stacked pile and does pellets. You can taste it if you like though.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:29 PM

I asked this question last year also, I always thought there was a difference,There's not. The only thing that is true is big droppings = big deer. Little droppings=little deer.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about the composition of the dropings. Just like humans, a deers dropings will vary from solid pellets to the runs depending on what they are eating and any viruses/ infections they may have. So just the just the composition of the dropings alone won't tell you much.

However you can make a very good guess as to the sex by how the poop is left on the ground. A doe or cow will tend to leave a single pile where as a buck or a bull will tend to leave a "trail" of poop. This also goes with the urine. A buck or bull will tend to "swing" when he urinates and a doe pees in a single spot. It helps to have snow on the ground for the urine... or dry dirt.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:11 PM

I've heard if the droppings are near the bedding sight it will be more solid.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I've heard that the bucks tend to hang back in the woods and eat more browse and therefore have big clumpy crap. Sounds reasonable, but probably not true. I'd go with big crap, big deer, crap of any kind means there was a deer there at sometime.[8D] And you know me.... I know my crap.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you can tell the sex by the droppings. Like someone said, they have the same digestive tracts. What the poop looks like depends on what they ate.

Quick Reply: Deer droppings tell sex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.