Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buying a Used Bow??? >

Buying a Used Bow???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying a Used Bow???

Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Buying a Used Bow???

I'm considering buying a used bow for my first bow off e-bay.I have'nt picked any yet,I need more info first.First question,is buying a used bow a good idea?My buddy truly belives in the Reflex Excursion and I was hopeing to find one on e-bay.My next question is what all do I need to know and consider before buying a bow?I bought a bow a year or so ago and the draw string is too long for me and now I can't use it.I was told the string cannot be reduced on this particular bow.Another thing I'm concerned about is I don't know what my pull strenght is.I need one fairly light to start off with because i'm right eye dominant and do everything with my right arm,but I have a hard timepulling back the draw string with my right arm and it feels uncomfortable.On the other hand I feel like I have more strenght when pulling back a bow with my left.I thinkit may be because I havebroken myright colar bone twice.Reason I want a light pull is beacuse I'd like to be able to train myself to be more comfortable shooting with my right arm and my dominant eye.If that makes since to you guys.
Sorry I stretched this post out so much,I wanted you guys to be able to take these things into consideration when giving me advice on a bow.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a Used Bow???

I bought a bow off ebay and did quite well. From what you write you are not ready to buy yet though. You need to first of all find out your proper draw length and secondly find a relatively popular model that you want so you can find a used one. Archerytalk.com has a great used forum and there is also one here. As for draw weight I would recommend a 50-60 lb bow and just turn it down to 50 to learn and build up strength.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

In all honesty your situation sounds like one that could be easily remedied by a quick stop at a reputable local pro shop. They can size you up for draw weight and draw length plus determine if a right handed or left handed bow would be more beneficial to you and your specific requirements.

However, if that is not an option, Ebay can be a good place to find some good bow deals. Case in point, I have two bows up there now that I am auctioning off.

To help you with the draw length issue take a gander at this chart. It should get you relatively close to your proper draw length. Hope this helps somewhat.

How to Measure Your Draw Length

Draw Length can be determined by a measurement known as 'wingspan.' This is simply a measurement and has nothing to do with how you actually draw back your bow.
How to measure your wingspan:
1) Lean against a wall, standing as close to the wall as possible with back flat.
[/b] 2[/b])Extend your arms and fingers out as far as possible
3) Have someone make a pencil mark at the end of both your fingers tips
4)Measure this distance

This is your wingspan. Find this number in the chart below to find its matching Draw Length.(For example, a wingspan of 67" would be a draw length of 26") [/i]
Wingspan Draw Length
(inches) (inches)

6424 1/2
65 25
66 25 1/2

67-----------------------------------------------26
68 26 1/2
69 27
70 27 1/2
71 28
72 28 1/2
73 29
74 29 1/2
75 30
76 30 1/2
77 31
78 31 1/2
*** The Most Common Draw Length is 29 inches.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TerryM

I bought a bow off ebay and did quite well. From what you write you are not ready to buy yet though. You need to first of all find out your proper draw length and secondly find a relatively popular model that you want so you can find a used one. Archerytalk.com has a great used forum and there is also one here. As for draw weight I would recommend a 50-60 lb bow and just turn it down to 50 to learn and build up strength.
Great advice Terry...

Terry said it best, you need to visit your local pro archery shop and get your draw lenght, a 50-60 pound bow would also be a great starting point.....

welcome to archery bro..
Old 08-26-2005, 09:24 AM

WantBuck-
A used bow is a cost effective way to upgrade. I know a lot of guys that buy one every year and unload their old one to compensate for some of the cost. This benefits someone in your shoes. They are getting rid of a perfectly good bow with nothing wrong simply to upgrade.
I would have to agree with everyone here in that the first step is to figure out what your draw length is first and then go from there in your purchase. The 50-60 pound model would be more than sufficient to do the hunting you will do.
The last note is if you are interested, I have a Jennings CK3.5 that I would make you a deal on. I would be able to sell the bow pretty much ready to shoot and hunt with. It comes complete with Sight, rest, quiver, peep, and kisser. Depending on the draw lenghth I might even be able to throw in a dozen arrows. The bow is completely adjustable in draw lenght with modules, so no matter what your length is it would fit you. It is also a 50-60 pount right hand model. I could let it go for $400 complete with the above accessories. If you are interested please let me know and we can go into further detail. Reply here or email me at: [email protected]. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the offer bearshooter.I will definatley look into it and talk to my wife.If I decide to go that route I will e-mail you.I forgot to tell you guys that I went to my archery shop a week or so ago and thay said I have a 27-27 1/2 draw lenght.
You guys were very helpful.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to my archery shop a week or so ago and thay said I have a 27-27 1/2 draw lenght.
You are better off having one with a little shorter draw than too long remember that. You can always add a little with the string loop but one that is too long will be difficult to shoot properly and will lead to bad form. Most people buy too long a draw.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 PM

personaly i wouldnt buy a bow off ebay but if you go to a archery proshop and get you measurements and talk to the guys at the proshop about wat u need they couldhelp u find a bow u could hold and draw before u buy. but if you have your measurements and you find a bow that fits you and your satisfied with theres no reason why u shouldnt buy it.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 PM

I just measured my wingspan with the intructions above and got 70 1/2".If that chart is accurate then I would need about a 27 1/2" draw length to be safe right?
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a mathews q2 off ebay in 2001 and it has worked out great. i knew EXACTLY what i was looking for though. It was just a waiting game for the right auction. #1 rule, make sure you are buying from someone with good feedback. #2 rule, watch the shipping charges, some sellers make all their profit on 'shipping' charges.

Quick Reply: Buying a Used Bow???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.