Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla??? >

Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

I bought some peanut butter and vanillafrom Sams tonight and plan on trying it for the first time this weekend.My question is how do you use the peanut butter,just poor it on the ground?Just thought i'd ask before I took it out to the woods.My question on the vanilla is the same,do I just poor it on the ground?Also,the vanilla I got is imitation vanilla,will it work?It was real chep so I said what the heck.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-26-2005, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Both are attractive to deer , but don't expect miracles .
Artificial vanilla will work FME , but they seem to prefer the natural version . I use it as an attractor scent only since we can't use bait here , and I use scent bombs or other wicks , but my favorite dispenser is an unscented tampon . Simple , cheap , and it holds a lot of vanilla . If the peanut butter is in a plastic jar nail the lid to a tree about 3' off the ground , cut the bottom out of the jar , then screw the jar to the lid . You can also just smear the butter on the bark of the tree .
Old 08-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

never used either one of those....but i do use corn syrup and pour it on a stump they do seem to like that
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

We tried pb before with minimal success.We tied a 8" stick to a limb with a piec of 20lb mono.,and hung it about 3ft above the ground,then stuck the stick in the pb,and just let the stick hang in the air coated with pb.Sometimes they will walk over and lick it,most of the time they just smelled it.We tried the vanilla with no success yet.This is the deep south so there's no telling what your deer will like.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

You guys seriously use peanut butter and vanilla to attract deer? Honestly, I never heard of doing it .....woodpeckers and blue jays maybe but deer? I believe you and would be interested to see how long it takes the deer to pick up on it and use it.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would be illegal in PA....that being said, deer are very curious animals and I have no doubt it would pull deer, however, not a consideration in our state.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 AM

For the peanut butter:
Unscrew the top
Nail it to a tree at about waist high
Cut the bottom out of the peanut butter jar
Then screw the jar on the lid that is nailed to the tree

This is the only way to keep the deer from dragging it off.
The jar of peanut butter will only last probably one week.
Just pour the vanilla extract on the ground, vanilla is great if you keep it in your area all of the time, it helps to mask your scent during those hot days.
Good Luck
Old 08-26-2005, 09:57 AM

I have great sucsess with peanut butter, i have actually witnessed doesfighting over the jar nailed to a tree.
The jar always is found to be licked clean. At least in N. WI
Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

I tried the P/B thing for three jars and never saw a deer track around the tree,put the camera up and only got coons eating it.the jar looked like it had been run through a car wash.
the area around the tree was clean of all leaves and never had a deer track??????????????

don't know where it works anywhere else or not.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Every one is allways looking for a better/faster thing to get deer to them. The thing about hunting ios go to the animal.Take a high addvantage point and spend 1or 2 days looking and not hunting.If you do this you will not need to try to bait them in.

Charles Bradford

Quick Reply: Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.