Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hey fixed broadhead guys.... >

Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hey fixed broadhead guys....

The "line 'em up with the fletchings" method has been around for a long time . . . but has no merit. As already pointed out, the vanes aren't going to pass through the same eact path as the blades. Of far greater importance is making sure the broadhead is perfectly aligned with the arrow. I've been at this game for over 25 years, I've used 3 blade and 4 blade broadheads and 3 and 4 vane configured vanes. Made absolutely no difference whether they lined up or not.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

Good stuff. Thanks for the info fellas!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Spike

i shoot 4 blade muzzy 100 grn. with xx78 superslam 2315 arrows and do nothing but screw them in. i do not pay attention to the way they go in because they always shoot fine.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that too. If it makes you happy go ahead and do it. It doesn't seem to help me any though. I have broadheads pointing all directions comparing them to the fletchings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The big thing that I find needs to be done, is make sure the broadhead is spinning true with the arrow. I do this by putting the b-head on and then spinning the arrow on rollers. I put a piece of wood near the tip of the b-head so I can watch how it spins. If the point of the b-head is makind a big loop I know it isn't aligned true and I try a different b-head/arrow combination until I find one that whenI spin it, the point of the b-head doesn't move. After doing this, it doesn't matter where the fletchings are as compared to the b-head blades, they all fly the same.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, after 30+ years of nitpicking things I've found that there is no credance to lining up blades with fletching. Think about it, There have been 2 bladed heads, 3, 4, 5, and even 6 bladed heads. Now how do you line these up with the fletching? It may help to get them all the same from shaft to shaft, but I haven't even been able to substantiate that.

I'll tell ya what is important. The ferrules should be aligned well with the shafts, eliminating any wobble. Combine that with the straightest arrows you can afford to buy (.003" is plenty good enough), and nocks that are straight on the shaft if you use glue-on ones. Add a helical or stright-offset fletching and you should be able to get anything to fly. Of course this all assumes that your arrows are spined correctly for the setup you intend to shoot.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 AM

It makes no difference, but being lined up does look better
Old 08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

My opinion is that it is a myth. I have been able to get fixed blade heads fly right along with field points and it had nothing to do with how the blades were aligned with the fletchings.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

If your arrow and broad head are balanced, it doesnt matter. Spin test it, if it is balanced its good to go. I shoot both fixed (for hogs) and mechanicals (for deer) and some fixed will group a little different, but fly right. All depends on the head.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 PM

The blades don't need to be lined up with the fletching, but the insert needs to be lined up with the arrow, as burnie was eluding to. Get all of the wobble out of the broadhead by spinning it, and spinning the insert in the arrow if needed.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 PM

I think that now a days it might help a slower speed bow more then it would anything else.If your shooting at low arrow speed aligning them might help some.But with todays Bows I do not really think it matters.I also agree that making sure your broadhead is in line with your arrow is one of the most important things you can do for your arrow and consistancy in shooting.

Quick Reply: Hey fixed broadhead guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.