Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pics: dumb fawn and hawk (owl - sorry) catching a mouse >

Pics: dumb fawn and hawk (owl - sorry) catching a mouse

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pics: dumb fawn and hawk (owl - sorry) catching a mouse

Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pics: dumb fawn and hawk (owl - sorry) catching a mouse

ok, ok, i give. it's either an owl or a hawk wearing fuzzy socks. hehe. funny thing is i was sitting on the couch this morning and my daughter says, "dad there's a huge bird on the deck". I look and it's a hawk (this time i'm pretty sure, no fuzz on his legs) with the remains of something. I think it was a rabbit but I shouldn't say because i'll be wrong and made fun of. hehe. but the dang thing left guts and fur all over my deck. i'm ticked. i'll post the pics of the real hawk tomorrow (after my buddy confirms it's a hawk). lol

I live intown, you wouldn't think i'd be having a hawk sitting on my deck eating it's lunch. we've had them there about 4-5 times over the last couple years. I have pictures from a few of the times.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pics: dumb fawn and hawk catching a mouse

its a barred owl. had one NOT see me last year and all but land on me, then take up a perch about 20' from me for a half hour. had to make sure he knew I was bigger than him because he was eyeing me up bad. looks like that would be a rat that the owl is going after.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:59 AM

i think the fawn was out drinking with the owl, and the mom is yelling at the fawn and the owl is there just laughing
Old 08-21-2005, 01:17 PM

With the heavy feather cover on the legs I would say that has to be an owl. Funny!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Yep it's a Barred Owl
Here's a pic. I see them often when in my stand next to a swamp .

Old 08-21-2005, 03:58 PM

These are some GREAT photos. The fawn pic is an "optical illusion" and is a VERY unique photo. LOL it appears to be levitating (maybe momma is a jedi?) but is actually either just lying down or just getting up (I believe lying down, if getting up it's head would be up). The shadow that appears underneath it is actually in the foreground and is from the tree, not the fawn.

The bird is obviously an owl, as was said only owls have feathers on their legs (eliminates wind noise when approaching prey, bare legs actually produce an audible whistle too the tiny ears of mice and other rodents), the short head, the compact body and the coloration. A red tailed hawk would appear MUCH different if you were to see one in that position. FANTASTIC photo and I agree, an award winner for sure!

Thanks for sharing,
RA
Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are the odds that a hawk would show up on my deck and clear up my whole hawk/owl identification issues. looks like he's going to have good luck because he's got rabbit's feet...

Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 AM

"Barred" Owl . See the "bars" (the markings on the feathers.) Plus it's night, and I can't see the head, or beak, or face....
Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That pic on your deck is not a hawk. It is a rabid pigeon. The fawn was caught in the act of laying down andthatIS an owl in the first pic. All IMO, of course.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

geesh....can't you guys tell it's a pterodactyl !!! I mean judging from the wing span in relation to the circumference of the salt lick ......it's simple.

Quick Reply: Pics: dumb fawn and hawk (owl - sorry) catching a mouse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.