HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   4th Annual- Be Proud of what you shoot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/109525-4th-annual-proud-what-you-shoot.html)

PABowhntr 08-19-2005 05:19 PM

4th Annual- Be Proud of what you shoot

As with the other two posts this is another annual one that usually begs repeating. Be it a 4 point, 6 point, "management 8" or a beautiful doe, be proud of what you take. Don't be afraid that others will look down on you "just because it is a y-buck" or "just because it is a doe". Each and every animal we harvest is a trophy in the hunter's eyes and should be treated with respect andcongratulations.

Good luck to all of you and be proud of the animals you are fortunate enough to take this season.

Buck Magnet 08-19-2005 05:37 PM

RE: 4th Annual- Be Proud of what you shoot

Amen Frank, don't let an arrow fly if your gonna be ashamed of your harvest. Heck, I would probablly have another pic of me smiling over a doe this year if someone at the post office didn't rip the corner of my application envelope open and tear the number off my check [:'(]

hoyt3 08-19-2005 05:59 PM

all animals taken with a bow are trophies.

Hunter06FlKy 08-19-2005 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

all animals taken with a bow are trophies.
any animal taken with any weapon should be considered a trophy. but even moreso with a bow.

WVBowhunter10 08-19-2005 06:08 PM

You guys are exactly right and I intend on filling every tag that I have this year with a trophy.

rtread 08-19-2005 06:27 PM

Thanks PABowhntr! If I'm lucky enough to get a deer this season it will be a trophy for sure....being this is my first year to bowhunt. I've shot nice deer gun hunting but taking one with a bow will be a big deal for me. I'll post a picture for sure on here ....unless I gut shoot one of them deformed spikes....

pass_threw 08-19-2005 07:19 PM

that soundsright to me, being i`m a meat eater i will show everyone i take.
proud of them all.

PT

DaveC 08-19-2005 07:33 PM

Amen to that.
I wish more people would understand that in some woods a 120" is a trophy, in others it's a dink. I say set the bar according to thedeer in your area.
A mature doe at the end of the CRIMSON trail is the best trophy of all.

rybohunter 08-19-2005 08:51 PM

Yea this deal goes both ways, if you are happy as can be, with the deer you shot, be proud and don't worry of the size. But if you truly aren't content with what you shot, don't shoot it just to say you did.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-20-2005 05:48 AM

As always Frank, A fantastic read....

zak123 08-20-2005 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet
don't let an arrow fly if your gonna be ashamed of your harvest.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Every deer is a trophy.

manuman 08-20-2005 01:19 PM

I guess I harp on this a bit much, but I am glad that others keep their proverbial feet on the ground when it comes to hunting. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...It's not the size of the kill, but how you hunted what you killed!

PABowhntr 08-20-2005 07:20 PM

As always Frank, A fantastic read....
Not as detailed as yours and Matt's Rob but then I was never one for speeches....:)

Dampland 08-21-2005 10:57 PM

Besides of being proud of what your harvest, DON'T RUIN IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE!

I can't tell you how many times I have been at a deer registration station, and someone makes some smartalec remark about the "little dog doe" or the "tiny buck".

Then you notice the little kid or the first time hunter who was smiling earlier, is now hanging his head.
What should have been a great memory, is now tainted by some loud mouthed jerk.

A "Trophy" is in the eye of the beholder, no one else can pass judgement on someone elses harvested animal.

JeffB 08-22-2005 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Dampland

Besides of being proud of what your harvest, DON'T RUIN IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE!

I can't tell you how many times I have been at a deer registration station, and someone makes some smartalec remark about the "little dog doe" or the "tiny buck".

Then you notice the little kid or the first time hunter who was smiling earlier, is now hanging his head.

What should have been a great memory, is now tainted by some loud mouthed jerk..
I've witnessed this a few times myself [:@]Very sad how some hunters approach the sport, and talk about other participants.

One thing Frank said in his original post.."management buck". That kind of "modern" hunting terminology annoys me to no end .I realize based on QDM principles, it's just a correct description..the bad part is that it's always used in a semi-derogatory way..even unintentionally like in Frank's post. It has a negative conotation that I just don't understand. 99% of the everyday avg hardworking/hard huntingbowhunters out there would consider one of these "second class" animals the trophy of a lifetime, whereas the Video crew & huntersconsider it doingthe outfittera favor by culling it...:eek:

Sorry...this is something I feel strongly about. Any animal taken is a trophy..regardless of size or gender.

:gets off soapbox:

Western MA Hunter 08-22-2005 09:12 AM

I bust my a@# for any and every deer I kill. I don't care if it is a baldy or spike horn... it's a trophy. Even moreso if taken with the bow.
I'd rather see pictures and hear stories about average "dinks" and does thanmost monster rackers.
Nothing bothers me more than when someone puts down someone else's hard earned trophy. I have been more excited over small does than the biggest buck I have taken.
They are all trophies in my opinion and I get pumped beyond belief when I see someone excited about their doe & small buck harvest.
Good luck to everyone. I'll hopefully have a picture of a nice spike or forkhorn to go along w/ a doe this bowseason to share with everyone!

RTA47 08-22-2005 02:33 PM

What should have been a great memory, is now tainted by some loud mouthed jerk.

This is the kind of things that make me sick with some folks. They have no respect for others.
To me all deer are trophys. I am very happy for anyone that takes a deer.(buck or doe, big or small.

ELKINMTCWB 08-22-2005 02:53 PM

I dont mind at all if some one says crap about a deer some one I know or I have killed.They are normaly not very good hunters. I allso try to invite them to my house to eat dinner so they can tell,help and guide me to bigger better deer.So far EVERY time they have walled though my door they are allmost flored.I was blessed with some real nice monsters that walked in to my arrows.I like to set them in there place . The 2 times this has hapend to me turned in to learning EX for them :D

If need be take them behind the barn and teach them some manners!

neck4752 08-23-2005 09:32 AM

I will be friggan amped to take anything with my bow! I was very pumped about my first deer which was just last year even though it was "just a doe with a shotgun". Whatever I was proud. No one took me in the woods and set me up. I scouted it all myself learned it all myself and filled a tag and got some meat. Here in the suburbs of Boston if you see one deer in the woods having gone out three times you had a great week!

jim

Western MA Hunter 08-23-2005 09:35 AM

"Just a doe with a shotgun" will never come out of my mouth... ! That is awesome!
Congrats on your first deer. I'm sure you earned it!

ClassyHunter 08-23-2005 05:08 PM

Another excellent post! Always be proud of what you have accomplished. If you have put your time in scouting, and getting your set up shooting just right, any harvest is one to be proud of no matter what weapon was chosen. You have then, in my book a great accomplishment no matter the size or the sex of the animal.

DannyD 09-01-2005 01:33 PM

when my daughter shot her first deer on youth day last year (first deer for either of us) you would have thought it was a 12 point 200" deer as happy we were and as proud as i was.
I didn't realize it was a small spike (maybe 80lbs) until i finally looked at the pictures

DaveC 09-03-2005 09:08 PM

" One thing Frank said in his original post.."management buck". That kind of "modern" hunting terminology annoys me to no end . "- Jeffb

That's the truth, I've always maintained that the phrase "management buck" really translates quiet well as that buck just helped pay for the ranch managers salary. It's sad that they hang such a high price tag on a buck they instantly insult as soon as it walks into view.

What's funny is when a HUGE monster deer steps out in clear view, but obviously the "hunter" or hunting show didn't pony up the cash for the herd monarch so they say they couldn't get a good shot on it and watch it walk off only to take a marginal shot on the next management looking eight that walks by.

AR 34 eight point 09-04-2005 10:31 PM

I would have to say the kill I have been most proud of was not of my own. I spent some time with a brother inlaw in early season, got him a bow, shot 3-D whith him many times. Took him out opening day two years ago and a doe he landed. I have yet to put down a doe, by coice and upbringing, but was proud of this trophy. I hope to top that this year with my daughter and her first season to hunt.
If I hear a loud mouth, they are sure to see the back of the shed!!!
Good luck to all, and enjoy the hunt!

Switchback attack 09-07-2005 08:06 PM

I agree 100%...Proud of every animal & view them all as trophies

Switchback attack 09-07-2005 08:09 PM

Amen & Amen

ILL BUCK 09-08-2005 03:39 AM

Oh yeah, big and small I am proud of them all!! I just like letting the string drop to much to pass them all up!!

Western MA Hunter 09-09-2005 11:40 AM

Well, It's not a deer, but it is my first bear w/ the bow... Not very big... Just tipped the scales at 100lb. I thought it was bigger when it came in, but I am proud just the same since I took it with the bow on my own over a natural food source.

http://tinypic.com/dhad6g.jpg

Bassman4940 09-19-2005 06:52 AM

Unfortunately the magazines, hunting shows, and most of the videos are packed with photos of P&Y class bucks, so we get a real tainted imagine of what bow hunting is all about.I won't even watch these so-called hunting video's unless they are informative and not just loaded with kill shot, after kill shot all on monster bucks.
Many of the "slobs" who degrade other hunters (especially bow hunters) have probably never even gotten close to a deer, let alone arrow one.
I get just as much satisfactionout watching a couple of does feed directly underneath my tree and never knowing I was anywhere near!

CAMPFOURCORNERS 09-19-2005 02:01 PM

Bassman4940.....my thought exactly on watching the deer right under your stand. there is just something special bout have those deer so close to you and never knowing your there. last season i had a small six point feed right underneath my stand for 30 min. i just watched him through the grate of my treestand. i would of shot him but AR in my unit are 4 points to a side (i guess he must of known that):D

marmax 09-20-2005 12:41 AM

I agree 100%. Be proud of your kill. Good luck to all this year!

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-20-2005 03:51 PM

what state you hunt that one in Ill?

PABowhntr 10-01-2005 05:55 PM

;)Speaking of being proud.....

MR.D 10-02-2005 06:53 PM

I am proud of every animal that I have taken.
What are you if yoiu are not proud? Embarrasssed??? If so give up the sport.
Yesterday I killed a doe and was just as excited about it as I was with any buck I have taken. When I stop getting the shakes after a shot then it will be time for me to hang up my bow.
Off to a good year in the field so far. Opening day spring gobbler and opening day bow season deer.

Good luck to all.
Mr. D

PABowhntr 10-02-2005 07:08 PM

Yesterday I killed a doe and was just as excited about it as I was with any buck I have taken.

Excellent point. It isn't always about just taking the animal but rather everything that led up to it and everything that happens afterwards. Good luck when you head out again.

hillbilly17 10-03-2005 02:10 PM

If your going to eat it - Let us see it

MR.D 10-03-2005 06:01 PM

hillbilly17

If you are implying that I dont eat what I kill then you are mistaken.
I didnt take any pics since it was a doe (my 17th). With the 80 degree heat here, I skinned and butchered it imediately and put in a cooler with bags of ice for an hour or so. After cleaning up the dirty part of butchering I then cut and wrapped it. The entire deer was in the freezer by noon except for a few steaks that I cooked the next day.

FL/GA Hunter 10-04-2005 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: MR.D

hillbilly17

If you are implying that I dont eat what I kill then you are mistaken.
I didnt take any pics since it was a doe (my 17th). With the 80 degree heat here, I skinned and butchered it imediately and put in a cooler with bags of ice for an hour or so. After cleaning up the dirty part of butchering I then cut and wrapped it. The entire deer was in the freezer by noon except for a few steaks that I cooked the next day.
I don't think it was directed at you, man. :D

penseeker2 10-10-2005 08:13 AM

:D...Very proud of this....it's my first Turkey..

Finch 10-10-2005 08:16 AM

nice looking bird! How long of a beard and how much did he weigh?