Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail Trivia...... >

Whitetail Trivia......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail Trivia......

Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whitetail Trivia......

now i don't have much experience with only like 6 years of hunting under my belt but i believe i've seen deer drink out of a slow moving crick that i hunt over...i also like to hunt over crossings but i have seen deer come down to the crick while still hunting the area. its kinda weird that all of us hunt these animals but never really pay attention to small things like if they stop and drink out of the river or the pond!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 PM

go to terra server and pull up a overhead pic of the land and see if there is water somwhere you dont know about
Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 PM

I've seen deer drink out of ponds that were green with duck weed.I've also seen them drink out of a channal that winds it's way to the river about 500 yards away.Where the buck was drinking, the water was moving so slowly you could not see the water move.Hope this helps you.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

They drink from a zillion places, even the smallest puddle in the woods. If your pond is the only water around and there's deer in the area, they'll be using it...you're just missing the sign. Either way, I wouldn't count on hunting a "Water Source". A quick shower can ruin your hunting plans. Like I say, all they need is a little puddle somewhere. Hunting a water source would only be regular to me in extreme drought...which can end with an overnight shower.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting thought. I have a secluded pond and a stream on my property. In spring they were hitting thepond big time. Since the weather got hot the sign around the pond has all but vanished. The pond is about two hundred yards from the stream and my guess can only be that they prefer cooler water. I am thinking that either spot will be good on early mornings of the rut after the bucks have been lathered up chasing does all night..........dabow
Old 08-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have personally seen a deer drink from a drainage ditch running through a field back to a creek but was inside the woods under cover. It was a small buck andI kept him interested with my grunt call for about 20 minutes or so. It was during the rut and between corn fields and bedding areas in the evening. I think deer are kind of a lazy animal and opportunist and won't go out of their way.I watch them cross fences that are low in spots, cross flat fields instead of plowed fields unless they are being shot at or pushed hard. They justexpend the least amount of energy they have to in my opinion. [/align]
Old 08-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer get most of their moisture from their diet. Unless there's a hot dry spell I don't believe a deer needs very much , if any. They consume their morning grasses with plenty of dew attached.

Some times in the higher elevations you can hear the unmistakenable " Yahoo Mountain Dew."
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a deer drink from a creek before. Last october i was in a stand that overlooked a major trail that crossed a small creek that was in the middle of some thick cover. A small yearling doe came down the trail and then walked down the creek. The creek was on average, probably 8-10 inches deep and had enough current that you could see it moving. The doe, not only drank out of the creek, but she began playing in it, jumping up and down as well as running up and down the creek. She seemed to really be enjoying her time there.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 AM

I would guess the pond. Deer are lazy if not pressured. Just a guess though....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Well, I moved my game camera over to the pond this weekend and I will check it next weekend to see what type of activity we have. You have to remember that I am in MS and temps are in high 90's all of August and most of September. Average for October starts in the high 80's, so water is key the first few weeks of the season for our deer.

Quick Reply: Whitetail Trivia......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.