Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread >

7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread... CAN SOMEONE HELP ME???

Rain is a tough topic, so many deer are lost in the rain. Without blood it's almost immpossiable to do. If you weren't going to hunt there again for the est of the season, i would try the bedding area, if you are I would go to the nearest water and start looking there, chances are the wound is burning him and he'll want to cool it off. Wounded deer almost always go for water. Good luck and let us know.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 PM

Default RE: 7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread... CAN SOMEONE HELP ME???

Thanks lou-lou for the reply. I plan on hunting there within the next week or so again. muzzel loader season is in two weeks. I'm kinda mad at myself for not waiting until the muzzel season starts, that would have been a PERFECT time. This deer was a perfect 4 point mount as I would have done. Thanks again......I'll let you all know what's happening.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:57 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know how muchy I've appreciated this thread and see the need for it to be put at the top every year. I arrowed my first deer, a doe, ever (gun or bow) on Monday and followed much of the advice. I was pretty sure I hit her in good spot where the lungs should be but waited for an hour.

She had run about 75 yards when I went to check on her. Couldn't see her from the stand so I waited at least that long. As she came into view, she struggled to get up once or twice so I backed out for another hour and came back and she was expired.

I grabbed a long dead tree branch and poked her hard and it snapped in half. About gave me a heart attack I was already excited as it was.Her side was starting to puff up a little and it was 65 degrees so I dressed her as quick as i could for the first time and the procssor said I did a good job for never having done that before. Excited to get my own vension back for the first time and ready to look for a buck.

Anyway, thanks again for posting this thread. Very informative and probably saved me from losing my first deer.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM

Default RE: 7th Annual Recovery, What To Do After The Shot Thread

im 15 years old and this would be my second year of bow hunting. and i was wondering if deer have a hollow spot between there spine and lungs. i was hunting with my buddy and his dad, i hit a nice doe about 3 inches below the spine. we left her over night and we trailed her for about 150-200 yrds. we found 2 parts of my arrow; the broad head w/about 6 inches of arrow then about 4 inches of the shaft at the end of the trail. only small spots of blood and smears on the sides of trees. any body know what i might or might not have hit? thanx
woodsnwater
Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 AM

I wish I would have got it this forum sooner. On 11/11/05 I arrowed the Buck of my life. I waited an hour before trailing. Not being experenced enough, I took it slow, marking with tracking ribbon. 2 1/2 hrs. latter I found where the Buck broke 1/3 the arrow off. Five minutes latter I found where he bedded and stopped bleeding. A few dropps after that was all I could find. There was a good amount of blood on the trail and some bubbles in the blood at times. (I'm sure I hit a lung.) I left and came back the next day hoping to find it, after knowing what I did wrong. I'm upset on my screw-up. A costly lesson I will never forget. I don't rub elbows with other serious bow hunters to learn this. And most anything I ever read, says, one hour. Hope the next Bow Hunter on the Forum is not as stupid as me. Someone kick me in the ass. ...........HARLEYBUCK
Old 11-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to say it, but I blew it last night. Thought I made a good shot on a doe broadside at 20 yards just before dark. Got down from my tree, checked the arrow (pass through) and saw red vanes. Packed up my stuff, hiked back to the car, grabbed my lantern, and started to look for sign about an hour after the shot. I couldn't find any blood at all. I should have just gone home and come back the next day, but its 1.5 hours from home. I kept following the trail I saw her take off on, hoping I would find her piled up. No luck. Came back this morning, and all I could find was some blood and a few hairs on a leaf about 50 yards from where she was shot. Besides that one leaf, could find no more blood. There were tracks everywhere, this is a heavily used area. I searched for 5 hours today, then it started raining heavy and I headed back home. Not a happy camper today.