Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saftey harness reveiws >

Saftey harness reveiws

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saftey harness reveiws

Old 08-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Saftey harness reveiws

Have any of you seen this article on safety harness? I am a big chicken when it comes to being up high in a tree and very picky about my safety harness, and this really gives you something to consider.
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/harnesstest/

Sorry about the link to another board, but I figure safety is important enough to overlook it this once
Old 08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saftey harness reveiws

Thanks for sharon 5shot. It never hurts to be reminded. I just fell down a flight of stairs here at the kabin 2 days ago. Busted 2 upper ribs and 2 lower ones on my left hand side, left hip swollen and bruised and a chip left elbow, as long as I don't move I don't hurt but you can bet that when I get in my treestand that my harness will be on and then maybe use some duct tape and wrap myself around the tree. Hell, I'm tired of fallin. [:@]

Bobby
Old 08-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a HSS vest and really like it. But I do have to agree, the crotch straps are a little iffy. I just hooked the thing up on my porch and hung in it like as if I just fell to see what it was like. It definitely puts a lot of stress on the ol' boys. The SOP harness is angled at such a position that it doesn't put as much stress right there, but off to the sides.

I'm going to use it though, as I feel its still the best and easiest out there to get into. However, i'm making slight changes to mine. I am going to use the rope with the prusic knot that came with my SOP harness. Its a much better and easier hookup in my opinion. I also ordered a caribiner from HSS that will make hook up a snap once i get started up the tree.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Site Bouncer

I also have the HSS and I did the same thing (hung from a tree branch) I also felt the straps were very tight on my inner thighs, but nothing like the guy in the video. I would not like to hang there all day because I could see how it would really start hurting but I feel very comfortable knowing I could hang there for a enough time to get myself back into my seat without experiencing excruciating pain, and I'm 325lbs!

That was very informative though and the SOP harness is without a doubt the one to get if you plan on hanging for a long time. The one thing I do is I put my tree strap very high above me somy tether isjust about fully extended when I sit down. This way if I fall I won't have far to go and that puts less of a "jar" to the system and my stones!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM

Chris:

It appears that the biggest 'complaint' by Pat and his crew was the crotch problem. I tend to look at other aspects of the comparison.

First, SOP has been in the business a lot longer than HSS. It was only after HSS came out with the 'vest' design that SOP decided to really 'upgrade' their design.The problems thatmany had with the SOP design was not just their troublesome straps, but the uncomfortable feeling when trying to walk around with the SOP harness completely attached.

The HSS design addressed that issue and subsequently became easier to wear all day long under any circumstances. The difference is that all day pain is replaced by momentary pain 'IF' you fall. Since the situation is to get hunters to want to wear a safety harness, the comfort factor when wearing will increase usage more than what 'comfort' will be gained during a fall.

A little pain in the crotch during the brief encounter of a fall will not outweigh the numerous hours of comfort to, from, and during thetime in a stand.Also, the convenience of pocketsfor hands and other items beats the straps beingin the way when using the SOP.

I approached the HSS staff a long time ago about their strap verses the SOP Prussic rope. I told them that I sold the Prussic rope to most of my customers when they bought an HSS product. They said that they would look into improving their product.

BTW, I also sell 3 other styles of harnesses in my shop, including the SOP. Ease of usage has really increased sales of harnesses. Manycustomers who didn't use harnesses bought HSS products last year. Of them, three had falls and were saved by the harness. None of them complained about 'crotch pain'. They were happy not to have been seriously injured.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len, Good point. I personaly use the SOP harness, and never really had a problem walking to the stand with it on. I put mine on in the house before leaving and put my heavier clothes over top. To be honest I have been so pleased with the SOP for the last 6 or 7 years? that I have not really looked into anything else. I would rather have any harness on that would stop my fall, than none, and it's all about the overall performance, comfort, ease of use, feel, etc. If I had the HSS system on I would feel comfortable and safe, not so sure how "larry and the boys" would feel. LOL
Old 08-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ttt
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great review! Considering I have an HSS vest, it was very intriguing. I certianly hope I never take a tumble out of my stand, but it's good to see how it faired. One quick question that i would have though, is that the HSS has the folded strap held together with stitching. I assume that during a fall, this stitching rips in order to cushin the fall... Wonder what happened to the strap during the tests.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not real sure on the straps. One thing is for sure,and we probabbly need to keep in mind that the vest did stop the fall, which is after all what it's supposed to do.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:50 AM

Has anyonetried the Loggy Bayou Transformer Safety System? I just bought it and you don't even know you have it on. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be if you fell...

Quick Reply: Saftey harness reveiws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.