Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FACEPAINT!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Default FACEPAINT!

Will wearing face paint give you an advantage or will it do nothing and -

will deer smell the face paint?

(i know its a stupid question)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: FACEPAINT!

I have used it a bunch but never had much luck when using it. I always wondered if they could smell it or not. I don't know but don't use it much any more, usually a Scent Lok face mask. Seems like its been around a long time and plenty of people use it. Its probably fine.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

You definately want an oderless paint if your going to use it....if it is oderless, it can't hurt. Anything to take the sheen off your face is a good thing as long as it contains no oders. About the best is "Carbomask"..it allows your face to breath. I personally use a face mask or nothing. I don't like the mess of paint but I do hunt high.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:03 PM

I used to use it yrs ago and maybe things have changed now but then it was a pain. I hunt on the ground for mulies and you sweat climbing hills a such and it always seemed to wear off. And then when you did want to wash it off it was a pain again. Now I wear a face mask, much easier.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

All of the face paints that I have bought and used are odorless. However, I prefer a Spandoflage face mask instead of face paint. We hunt from before sunup to after sundown and 4:00 to 4:30 am comes awful early at my age (67) and I do not want to crawl into my sleeping bag without washing my face nor do I want to take the time to wash up before bed. I prefer to save time and use the Spandoflage Mask.

When I get back to camp, I want to eat and get to bed!

One neat thing about the Spandoflage . . . here in Washington State we have a lot of Spanish Moss hanging from out trees. I just pick a piece or two and it sticks to the Spandoflage material.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I swear by face paint!! Ordeless, ofcoarse.. It works great, and your bow string won't rip it off your face like a face mask..! Good luck!!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a face mask or paint for deer hunting. I don't think they are necessary. If you don't move they can't pick you out. Give it a try.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you hunting from a tree stand? Because it does matter while on the ground!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I do hunt from tree most times I do encounter deer alot while scouting and at times they do look up. I haven't seen the need to cover my face. I even think camo is overrated.As long as you can break up your outlinesome a deer will not see you if your still.I don't claim to be an expert but I have killed 42 deer with a bow so I have hunted for a good number of years. If covering your face makes you feel more confident then you should do it however.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been busted too many times not wearing any type of facial covering. I see some guys get away with it on the hunting videos but it is either an afterscript or they are one heck of a long way up the tree because the deer in my neck of the woods would pick them out likea sore them.

I have not found any of the face paint typically sold in archery shops to have an odor.

Quick Reply: FACEPAINT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.